Chapter 5

A/N!  Ok so when you see "*" that means I'm gonna explain it at the very end

Maybe I should bond more with my mother... maybe if you do, she'll stop attacking you with empty wine bottles..., you thought as you headed towards your house. "Mother... I'm home" you said quietly, not wanting to upset her. It was eerily quiet, and dark.  Or maybe I should make a run— you got cut off from your thoughts with a hand grabbing your hair.  "Y/N..." your mother sternly said.  You turned slowly, in horror.  "Why are you running away?" She asked.  "I um... I wasn't..." you murmured. 

"Oh?" She made you look her in the eyes.  "Then get the hell in here!" she yelled at you, shoving you through the door. "Y-yes..." you stuttered, walking to your room. "Hold on". Your mother grabbed your arm. "Let's spend some mother and daughter time together!" She smiled at you, sending shivers down your spine. "Maybe we can play a game... or..." your mother walked into the kitchen and pulled out a knife. "I- w-wait!" You stammered, trying to find the right words to say.

You couldn't scream

You couldn't yell

You couldn't even defend yourself

Where was that inner you?  Where was the sadist who almost killed Hanako San? Where were you when you needed yourself the most...?

"I...." you started. "If I can survive these weeks with that knife..." you slowly gained confidence as you pointed to the weapon she held onto. "Then leave me alone for a month!" You yelled. Your mother's eyes widened. Never had she thought you would dare talk back. She then gave you a smile. It wasn't a friendly one.

Looking back at her knife, she said, "you want to bet against me?" She laughed. Her eyes slowly met yours'. "I accept your proposal" she softly grazed your arm. But of course, your mother knew that you can take the pain of it; but if you take too much... someone will have to die.  And you wouldn't want to find out who that someone is. Because if you do, you'll play the role of the murderer or be murdered.

But of course, that was your mother's intention.  "And if I win the bet..." your mother smirked.  "I'm selling you to the rickety neighbors...".  No... not the rickety neighbors!  What in the world have I gotten myself into?!  Trying to process what she said, you stumbled backwards and hit your head.  "You can plan what you intend to do today, and the fun starts tomorrow" you mother stated, as she walked into the kitchen, helping herself to some liquor.

Damn it... you went into your room, reading old newspapers, wondering if the rickety neighbors would sell you or kill you. Then you found this:

———————————————————————
ᗩᖇTIᑕᒪᗴ ᙭᙭᙭

ᖴᗩᗰOᑌᔕ ᑎᗴIᘜᕼᗷOᖇᔕ KᑎOᗯᑎ ᗩᔕ Tᕼᗴ ᖇIᑕKᗴTY ᑎᗴIᘜᕼᗷOᖇᔕ ᕼᗩᐯᗴ ᗷᗴᗴᑎ ᗯITᑎᗴᔕᔕᗴᗪ ᗩᑎᗪ ᖴOᑌᑎᗪ Tᕼᗴᗰ ᗩᗷᑌᔕIᑎᘜ Tᕼᗴ Oᖇᑭᕼᗩᑎᘜᗴ KIᗪᔕ. TᕼᗴY TᗩKᗴ ᗪOᗯᑎ ᗩᑎYOᑎᗴ ᗯᕼO ᔕTOᑭᔕ Tᕼᗴᗰ, ᗩᑎᗪ KIᒪᒪ TᕼOᔕᗴ ᗯᕼO ᗪOᑎ'T OᗷᗴY TᕼᗴIᖇ ᖇᑌᒪᗴᔕ.
———————————————————————

Apparently the rickety neighbors I've heard of is actually the orphanage caretakers! You were horrified of not exactly what the article said, but there was a picture of the rickety neighbors burning a baby in the fireplaceI wouldn't and couldn't be in there!  But if I quit this bet, I'd have to be sent there....  so the only good solution you had was to take damage. 

But how you missed your VR game so much...  you grabbed the game disc and played with it, wondering if anyone is doing anything in the game.  It wasn't like this was an online game.  No, this was a game for only one person.  No multiplayer modes, just you.  But that would mean the people I met there was...fake...  it was fake?  Was it all fake, though?

Heh... I just wanted to exorcise spirits and it brought me... ghost friends*. (Lol not like literal ghost friends, just read the very end where I explain).  Friends was something you didn't need but wanted.  Back then, as a child, a very naive child... you said you didn't want friends but everyone said you needed them.  You didn't want friends because your mother said it's a waste of space and you still need to provide food, water, and money for her. 

It was always for her.  And what does she do to repay you back?  Throw empty bottles at you. Make you feel weak. Helpless. Broken...  getting yourself ready for bed, you doze off, hearing that familiar sound again.

Y/N...

This isn't the right time...

Come back to your fantasy again...

You wanted to see your friends again, right...?

Don't you want to see them again?

Don't you?

You opened your eyes, as beads of sweat trickled down your face. "Another... dream?" You mutter to yourself. Suddenly you recognized the area you were in. "...Hanako San's bathroom...?" You whispered, only to be greeted with Hanako San caressing your face. "...huh?" You managed to make out. "Shh..." Hanako San said. He pushed his index and middle fingers onto your forehead, causing your vision to blur.

Waking up, again in your creaky, old bed, you dawned at the realization that you had dreamed of Hanako San. Was that... just a Dream? You thought to yourself. Checking the time, you had woken up at 2:30 AM. "Yeah... it was just a dream..." you told yourself. Right?

*Ghost friends: I didn't like the sound of imaginary friends, because that sounded like they didn't really exist at all. The reason why I put "ghost friends" is because to me, it means that they have lived or they have existed in some way or another. Also, I use this term when talking to my own ghost friends :)

A/N: sorry if this was a shorter chapter... don't think of anything much for the dreams {yet} lol.