car talks

"So tell me about yourself, Dakota." Stefan asks as I sit in his passenger seat uncomfortably. He drives a black Range Rover, suiting his aura. I feel so tiny in the giant car, but that's probably because I'm so small compared to his giant figure. He's even larger and taller than Logan was. 

My eyes bulge out as I try to ignore his delicious scent, "Um there's not much to really say...I really like music." I tell him shyly and he smiles. My heart skips a beat and I feel our physical connection grow stronger. 

"Me too." He says simply and I decide maybe I should drive more of the conversation. 

"What kind of music do you like?" He smiles as he notices the effort that I put in, and ruffles his blonde hair a little. 

"I listen to a lot of rap and what's it called...um it's the one with that Tory Lanez guy?" I laugh at his concentrated face while he tries to remember. 

I lightly remind him that it's called R&B and his face flushes in embarrassment. I feel my heart constrict with how handsome yet adorable this man can be. 

"I like that music too." I mumble. I can feel Bella laugh at me through mindlink as she can clearly sense how shy I am around him. 

"That was the pack warrior back at the café, the wolf you were with?" His piercing eyes meet mine and I gulp as I  form my words.

"Brett Saunders. He's a high school...friend." I hesitate since I guess we're friends now, but really were not friends in high school. He raises his eyebrow and I see his jaw clench. 

His voice now a little bit darker, "Friend?" I almost laugh at the idea of him being jealous. If only he'd seen Logan and I, Brett is the least of his worries. 

But, I decide against teasing the scary Alpha. I went through the crazy jealous phase with Logan and something about it seems so juvenile after what I'd been through. If Stefan and I decide to make this work I want it to be mature, without any petty games. 

"Friend. Him and I didn't talk much in high school but we just started to get to know each other a little bit more now." I try to reassure him. 

"Does he have a mate?" With a hitched eyebrow. I chew on my lip.

"N-No," I see his eyes darken so I decide to try something to test the waters, "But I do." I mumble. Suddenly his frown morphs into a smirk and I find myself smiling lightly. 

"You do." He confirms. If only he knew I had two instead of one. I wonder if he has two as well.

At this point we pull up at my house and he goes around to the other side of the driveway. He gets out and within 3 seconds he's at my side, opening the door. He puts his hand out for me to hold as I step down from the elevation and I shiver from the sparks that go up my arm. 

I hadn't realized how much I've been craving the touch of a mate. He holds onto my hand and I look at him surprised at how soft his large hand is. He rubs my thumb with his until we reach the front door. I use my key to unlock it and he laces his hand over mine to open it, letting me go in front of him. I smile and Bella howls at his chivalry. We step into the house and I call out for my dad. 

"I'll be down in a minute, can you take Alpha Stefan to the dining room Dakota?" I smile at Stefan and he returns the grin. My knees buckle at how adorable his smile truly is, and I see his straight pearly whites. With our hands still intertwined we walk towards the dining room and suddenly my body stops in its' tracks. I feel Bella whine and retreat further into my mind and my heartbeat accelerates.

What is going on? 

As if Stefan senses what's going on, his grip on my hand tightens and he stands a bit taller. As we finally turn the corner towards the table, my heart drops and I realize why we've both been feeling so uncomfortable.