11 | easy like- nvm

• • •

Elijah Baker

I silently sat at the table while everyone else ate and conversed like the Brady bunch.

It was crazy to me that they could sit here every Sunday and pretend they liked each other just to have something to do.

My grandma hated my mama, yet she sat right next to her and laughed at the simplest of jokes. 

My mama couldn't stand our cousin, but she always hugged her and gave her an extra piece of cake when they left.

What was the point?

Lauren was quiet too, but that was likely due to the fact that she was trying to fly under the radar, and avoid the bruise on her face from being the focal point of any conversation.

In the beginning, I tried caping for her, but what can I do if she won't leave? What's the point in even addressing it when it's become the norm?

"Elijah you not eating?" Grandma Pat asked.

I looked down at my untouched plate, "Don't look like it."

Lauren coughed a laugh but quickly recovered. My mom looked in my direction and smiled, "He'll just take it home."

"His wife don't cook? She just sit in that big ass house all day?"

Grandma Pat was a typical grandma. Messy as fuck for no reason, always giving an unwanted opinion, and always, always, in somebody else fucking business.

So if you're keeping score, at the top of my list of people I don't like in this family: Marc was first, followed by Christian in a close second, then came my 2 teeth having ass Grandma Pat bringing up third.

Christian sighed, "Ion know why he still let her stay there."

"She'll be on the streets if it was me." Marc agreed.

Initially, I did put Leah out. I'm sure the reason she slept in my front yard like a dog that night was to reach the last bit of feelings I did have for her.

I only tried to be present at this shit for the sake of my mama. I'd missed a lot of dinners after the loss, but even before that, my presence was becoming scarce because I couldn't pretend to like these people.

"How's Milani doing in school?" My mom asked, trying to get the attention off of me.

It was too late, though. They'd already decided it was time to do another session of Bashing Elijah.

"Leah cheated 'cause you too soft." Jamarcus insisted, "I wish Lauren would."

"Marc please just eat your food. This is why he doesn't come over here anymore." My mama stated sadly, "Y'all bully him."

Christian chewed his food calmly, "He's 27. If he let somebody bully him, he deserve it."

"Exactly." Grandma Pat nodded her big ass head, "That's what's wrong with these supposed to be men these days. Christian, I told you when he was growing up that Tracey spoiled him."

Sometimes I really just thought about going to her house and shooting at it so she'd have a heart attack.

They continued to talk, to nag, to irritate me.

I stood up, "Mama I'll see you tomorrow."

Marc should've shut the fuck up and ate his food, but he couldn't help but make another comment, "Let me know if you need me to show you how to keep a wife."

My arm wrapped around his neck, yanking him backwards out of the chair, "Call me soft again. I dare you."

We both knew he wouldn't, and that was due to the metal object he felt.