22 | self-reflection

• • •

If Leah's phases meant anything, then I was still in phase one.

I wonder how long it took for phase two to come, as it'd been over a month since she told me that.

Over a month since his grandma passed in her sleep. Elijah seemed less affected than I would've been, but he assured me they weren't that close.

That was the first night I was introduced to Christian.

"Please tell them extra seasoning." I instructed, "I need to taste the high blood pressure."

Elijah feigned disappointment, "Taking 10 years off your life for some crabs? I wanna say I'm surprised but I'm not."

"She risk it all for the crab....meat, made you wait a week– let me hit same day inna back...seat." Coby looked around, "That's freestyling."

I really tried not to laugh, but Jailyn made eye contact and that went out the window.

Over the loud screams, you could hear Coby mocking us, "Akikiki. This what I be talking about Jai."

"That's Ken." She'd begun snickering and walked to the door "You know she goofy."

Elijah and I had barely started another conversation before the doorbell rang. "Jai must've forgot her key."

It wasn't Jai, but rather...I have no idea.

He stared at me like I was supposed to know, "Eli?"

Having heard his name from the couch, Elijah walked to the door, "Remember I said Ian wanna talk about her witchu'? What make you think that mean come to her house?"

Ohhh. It's his dad.

I stepped back, not really inviting him in, but trying to move out of the way. Christian came in though, smiling at me.

"Turn around and walk back out the door."

"I tried to call but you ain't answer. Grandma Pat...She woke up dead."

"That's it?" Elijah asked.

Christian scoffed, "You're a real piece of shit you know that? Ya' fuckin' grandma dead and you mad 'cause I interrupted you and–" He paused and smiled at me, "This nice young lady. How you doin' Kensley?"

"I'm fine. How are you?"

"Not too good. My mama died, my son ain't shit... But I'm making it."

"Sorry for your loss," I replied politely, before excusing myself to go down the hall. I wasn't necessarily trying to eavesdrop, and I even closed my door. Still, voices floated into my room.

Elijah sighed, "I'll call you tomorrow sometime."

"Marc's not gonna take it too well" Christian hinted, "I was hoping you and Lauren could tell him."

"Yeah. We'll do a FaceTime call."

"In person."

That was something you did in person, so at first, I didn't understand why Elijah got angry.

"Here you go. Just get out, the shit ain't happening."

Christian made a noise frustration, "Eli sometimes you gotta mind ya' business. What they do is what they do, she run to you because you feed into that shit. If you tell her– keep it in your marriage, I bet she stop all this."