7 | wins & losses

• • •

If I had a dollar for every time I struggled to not get smart with a customer, I could stop working at this shop and begin my career as Dallas's biggest philanthropist.

Until then, I had to stare at random spots in the store so customers wouldn't see how their stupid ass questions annoyed me.

"What's the biggest size y'all have?" A teenager asked while drumming her nails on the counter.

I reached for a cup and sat it down harder than I meant to, "16 ounces."

"Starbucks have bigger cups than that." She frowned.

"Go to Starbucks then."

Her friend sucked her teeth, "See. I told you they always have an attitude in here."

It wasn't an attitude. I just really didn't see the point in her telling me what size cups another shop had when she could go there instead.

Rolling her eyes, she turned and began mumbling about me to the other girl as they left, "Bitch probably make $7 and think she better than somebody."

I smiled evilly and reached for the store phone to call mall security. I waited patiently for Derrick to answer, "It's some teenagers in here skipping."

"I'm so damn tired of them. What they look like?"

"They should be on the way to Starbucks. You can't miss sis. Her wig crooked and her baby hairs 'bout grown as fuck."

He laughed into the phone, "Ken, what's the issue? You be having me scare these kids every day."

"She said I make $7 and think I'm better than them." I repeated, "All 'cause I said go to another store."

Nothing ever happened in our mall, especially during the day, so Derrick was nearly always available to go around 'scaring' them for me. He found it entertaining, and I thought so as well. He never even called their parents, just made them think he was going to.

"I told you last time they told me I couldn't do shit with this flashlight? I should've went upside they head."

"They must've never seen you flash it fast? That's a deadly weapon right there."

The phone was silent for a few seconds, "I'm not doing nothing else for you."

About a half-hour after I ended the call, I looked up as Zion entered the store, whistling like he was in the best mood ever. He stopped in front of the counter and looked at me expectedly, making me stare back at him in mock confusion.

"How can I help you?"

"The service in here ain't worth nun. I come here every day and you still don't know my order?"

I wondered where Elijah was but didn't want to ask. They usually came together and would spend at least 10-15 minutes making me laugh. Maria didn't care because I think she liked Zion, and he played into that.

"I know Elijah's order." I replied smartly, "I don't know yours."

"Ian telling you where that man at. Stalking him and shit."