13 | swim deep

Elijah Baker

Zion handed me the picture wordlessly, waiting to see what my response would be.

I didn't have one.

"I been told you to get rid of the bitch." He asserted, "If you can't do it then you know I got you."

"I...." I let the words trail off because I still didn't have a response.

"It don't matter if she ain't say nun. It's the fact she went her stupid ass to the people house in the first place. Disloyal ass hoe tryna do some lame shit 'cause you ain't stuck on her ass no more."

"Ian know you had nobody watching her?" It came out as a question, 'cause how you got somebody watching my wife and Ion know?

Zi sighed, "Eli you let her do too much. It's no reason she should still be in your house. Ain't no reason she should be able to spend money. Ain't no reason she..."

He kept talking, I just stopped listening.

Leah drove her stupid ass to Houston to leave a letter of some sort in Kensley's parent's mailbox.

You know how crazy you gotta be to drive almost 3 hours to leave a note?

I moved the pictured behind the folded letter, reading the words slowly:

Mr and Mrs. Parker,

"Did this bitch try to go her mama and daddy as a woman?" I looked up, "What type shit?"

"Keep reading."

My name is Leah Baker, and I'm Elijah's wife. I'm not sure if you've met him, but he and your daughter are in a relationship. Adultery if frowned upon by God-

I laughed until my stomach started hurting. When I finally stopped, Zion had a smirk, "Delusional."

-And I don't think that Kenslie knows that he's married. If she does, then have mercy on her. I'm hoping that you're able to guide her in the right direction.

"She ain't even spell her name right."

"Eli I'm finna knock ya' ass out for acting slow. You need to do some about her... I'ma offer my services again, and if you don't wanna say it out loud, kick me or some, and I'll know you with it."

"I'ma handle it." I answered truthfully, "As soon as you leave actually."

"Oh shit." Zi stood up quickly, "Let me get the fuck on then. Don't let me stop you."

I already knew where Leah was, upstairs in the master bathroom taking a bath. She had candles lit, as if she deserved to be peaceful, music playing through the speakers as if she were at a concert.

The same album had been on a loop ever since she found out about Kensley.

"Bitch I scratched out your name, and your face. What is it about youuu... that I can't... erase."

I waited to see if Leah would sense my presence, but she was focused on the lyrics, swaying gently as she sat with her back to me.

Walking closer, I pulled the sleeves of my shirt up, then put my hands on her shoulders, disregarding the scream as she went underwater.

1...2

Leah came up gasping for air, clawing at my fingers to release her. She wasn't strong enough.

1...2

"Look at me." I gripped her neck, her wide unfocused eyes trying to find mine, "I keep fuckin' telling you to stop trying me."