14 | construction

• • •

I stared out of the window, waiting.

Elijah just sat there.

He was clearly uncomfortable, not that I was concerned with that. Had he said it the first time the opportunity presented itself, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I didn't really care if he was married, I was more so upset that he took the option of me caring if he was married, away from me.

Because did it matter if it was just sex?

"I know I should have told you."

"So then explain why you didn't. You literally said, "I got married when I was 18". Did you forget to add the rest of it?"

He shifted in his seat, "That should tell you that I planned on doing it eventu-"

I reached for the door handle and Elijah quickly changed how he wanted to phrase his words, "I apologized Kensley. I don't know what else to do."

That posed the question of: What did I want him to do?

What did I expect him to do?

"I'm not a liar." Elijah continued, "I genuinely didn't expect for us to get this far. If you give me the chance, It'll never happen again."

"It can't happen twice. You got another wife I don't know about?"

He shook his head, "I barely got that one."

"Why not get a divorce? I'm not understanding the thought process at all."

"......I'd rather not talk about it."

The nerve and audacity.

"Goodnight, Elijah. Go home."

• • •

When I walked into my apartment, I noticed Jailyn sitting in her spot on the floor. I immediately knew something was wrong, "Hey Jai."

She just laid there.

I made my way towards her, sitting cross-legged on the floor, "What's wrong?"

"Coby dumped me."

"What?"

"Yep." She laughed bitterly, "He said he needs to focus on his career."

"What fucking career?"

"That's what I asked, then he got mad and said I never support him. I've been supporting him for years. The same niggas he sit up with every day wouldn't give him a fucking dollar. Clowned his music, all of that. I was the one using money my mama and them sent me to pay for weak ass studio sessions. I was the one who paid I don't remember how many fucking times when we went out, but I don't support him?!"

Jailyn's voice had grown louder through every sentence until she was yelling every word, tears running down her face. I tried to give her a hug but she stopped my arms, "Ken I really did everything. Like what the fuck?"

"They all trash. It's not like you no bum who don't got anything going for yourself. Fuck that nigga."

She cried harder, pushing her face into her hands, "That's not the point."