Exodus (Part 1)

Chapter warnings: Mild language

Word count: 1412

-----

"Please, just consider it?" Taeyong begged as they sat around the fire. Johnny shook his head.

"No dice, your majesty. I fly solo." He said in return, pulling a spit with some unknown meat out from over the open flame. "I appreciate your generosity, I really do, but I'll be fine on my own." Taeyong wasn't going to settle easily, though. They had walked to Johnny's camp, only to find that he didn't have any gas. Johnny suggested that they head to a tiny town another mile West. He said that it had barely been touched since the epidemic, and they could easily hotwire a car to truck an assload of gas back to their abandoned van. After receiving this information, though, Taeyong had asked Johnny to start accompanying them. While it was unclear whether he even planned to board a ship with them, he certainly wasn't planning on carpooling.

"This is ridiculous, Johnny. It's much safer to come with us."

"Forget about me, I've made it this long. You should be more worried about Taeil. Where is he again?"

"Headed Northeast. We'll get in contact once we get back to the van- might take us a day, though. That's not my concern right now, though! Please, I promise we won't be too much of a bother. It's just more practical."

"I understand, but-"

"Doyoung!" Taeyong called. Sparking to attention, he walked over.

"Yeah?"

"What are the statistics of death rates in groups versus solidarity?"

"Uh..." Doyoung looked at his laptop- why was he even carrying that around? After typing a few things in, he shrugged. "I can tell you the third highest leading cause of death is a fatal accident. Also most people die alone." Taeyong looked at Johnny as if the fact had completely proved his point.

"See? It's better in a group."

"Oh, is that why Haechan and Yuta are still alive?" He asked. Everyone went silent. For a moment, it seemed like even the fire had paused its crackling in horror. "Sorry, that was uncalled for." Johnny muttered. "But my answer is still no."

"It's... fine." Taeyong said in return, just as awkwardly.

"If you're so worried about people being alone, you should get on the road, go get your boy."

"Oh, that's right, the sooner we go get that car, the sooner we can pick up Taeil." Jungwoo interjected, happy to break up the tension. Taeyong stood, sighing.

"I'm sure we'll pass you on the way back. Radio me if you change your mind." And with that, they were off once more.

The walk to the next town wasn't bad at all- as Johnny had said, it was just over a mile. At first, Y/N was curious as to how they hadn't known about it. After all, it would have been easier for them to all just come here. Once they arrived, though, it was clear that the place wouldn't have appeared on any map. It could barely be called a town- more like a severely large neighborhood.

There were maybe... 50 houses? That was a rough estimate. There was indeed a gas station, as well as two restaurants and three stores. There were maybe three stoplights as far as she could tell. Taeyong looked out over all of it.

"Alright, everyone- let's be as quick as possible. Doyoung, you know how to hotwire a car, so how about you take Mark and Y/N and pick us out a new temporary ride. Y/N, let's have you drive since Taeil is gone." She didn't know if Doyoung or Mark could drive, but they both seemed a bit uneasy about that decision. She wasn't going to ask why.