1 | Welcome To Naija.

He looked confused, the road was not as messy when he last plied on it. Potholes at each corner of the road and each had yellow water in it, the ground was filled with black mud. There laid a very large pothole at the center of the road mixed with yellow and mud water in it. Just this sight almost made him puke. He looked at his white snickers.

"Today of all days" he groaned. He thought on how to avoid his new white snickers from staining. He pictured every possible way to jump but there was no way he could leap over the big pothole. He sighed silently. "It is no use" he rolled his eyes.

"Commot for road" a motorcyclist yelled from behind.

He did not even realize where he stood was the only dry spot. He allowed the motorcyclist to pass, then he looked at the passenger who was wearing the same uniform as he was. His face bloomed with a smile as he had an idea. He waved a motorcyclist to a halt.

"Take me inside" his tone was rather demanding.

"You dey rude" the old motorcyclist shot a sneer at him.

"Pardon my manners, sir" he lowered his head as a sign of respect. "Good morning, sir. Please can you take me inside?" he faked a smile.

"Eh-heh!" the old man laughed. "That go be 100 Naira"

"No problem, sir" he hopped on.

The motorcyclist drove gently, King on the other hand did himself a favour by raising his legs, so no splash of dirty water would touch his shoes. After they had almost passed the biggest and dirtiest water, a black Sienna zoomed in, splashing the dirty water at their right side and zoomed off.

"Deep breaths!" he said slowly, trying his possible best not to say a swear word.

"Oga, shey water touch you?" asked the old man.

King inhaled deeply, responding; "Yes, it did" he let out a heavy sigh. For some reason the motorcyclist stopped at a particular junction. "Why are you not going in?" he asked.

"Oga, this na my bus stop o" he chuckled. "They no dey allow okada for hia" he said, King alighted, he noticed his stained uniform. "Chai, this na bad thing o. See as person just dirty person uniform and today na Monday o" he shook his head as if mourning the dead. He took off after King had paid.

"I really don't understand how a person would drive so fast in a deteriorated road" he muttered angrily as he tried getting off the mud on his trousers. "I don't blame the stupid driver" he increased his tempo. "It's my parents, I blame" still head down cleaning his trousers. "From Heaven to Hell" he hissed. "Stupid" he looked at his shoe, he groaned. "Deep breaths" he said to himself, standing upright. "Can this day get any worse?" he rolled his eyes, continuing his journey.

Like in the movies, the clouds began to gather, then without warning, it started pouring. King was unmoved, the rain got heavier, he saw students from different schools running, some taking shelter in nearby stalls. Him, he just counted his steps, allowing the rain soak him.

Immediately he opened the gate of his new secondary school, the rain stopped.

"Ah, why me?" he mopped around the premises. "Hey" he called one of the male students, probably a junior. "Do you know where the em SS1 class is?" his accent unconsciously popped up.

"Wait, are you American?"

Shit! He totally forgot to switch to his Nigerian accent. King did not want to draw attention to himself, that was why he asked his cousin three months ago to teach him Nigerian accent.

"No" he said firmly. "Show me the SS1 class?" King picked his word slowly.

"Are you a stammerer?" the boy could not help but ask.