Chapter 1: A new legacy rises

A/N: I know I know, I'm getting sidetracked here; I'm writing other stories but I've decided that after a few more Httyd stories, I'm gonna do some Star Wars stories as well. This "what if" story takes place in season 5 of Star Wars the Clone Wars, episode 16. The Lawless. After Maul has killed Duchess Satine and has his men take Kenobi to a cell, Darth Sidious senses this rise in the Dark Side and ventures to Mandalore to deal with Maul and Savage which led to Savage's death and Maul being imprisoned by Sidious in the Spire prison. But in this story, Maul and Savage kill Darth Sidious and change the course of galactic history.

(Mandalore, Sundari)

As the night loomed over the Mandalorian capital of Sundari, Maul sat upon the throne he had claimed from the now-late leader of Death Watch, Pre Vizsla in single combat not long ago. His brother and apprentice, Savage Opress was standing by his side. The two brothers were discussing further plans to expand their newly established organization, Crimson Dawn, across the galaxy, now that Mandalore was theirs, the need to expand to the web of neutral systems was essential, not only to gain solid footing but also swell their numbers with those who wished to take up arms against their enemies as well as swell their war chest and resources.

While discussing the best course of action, however, Maul visibly tensed and he closed his eyes as he felt something approaching, or rather, someone approaching. It was someone whose darkness could consume the entire galaxy.

As this dark ripple in the Force was spreading throughout the city, Savage noticed his brother and master tense.

"What is it?"

Not answering his brother immediately, Maul then replied after a long moment. "Hmm, I sense a presence. A presence I haven't felt since..."  A shaky gasp parted his lips, Maul's facial features twisted with horror, and his eyes were full of fear. The presence he felt drew closer and closer until one word trickled out of his mouth. "Master."

Suddenly, two of the Mandalorian Super Commandos in the throne room were lifted off of their feet, being strangled to death by the ways of the Force. The two warriors were then slammed against the wall, still being strangled violently, the sight caused Maul to rise from his throne, he could feel goosebumps erupt across his skin and his heart beat faster as fear flowed through him like the blood in his veins. As both Zabrak brothers watched as their men were being strangled to death, the doors to the throne room opened, revealing the puppet master of a galaxy-wide conflict and those who were fighting it. The man who had unlimited power and could destroy those who challenged him with but a wave of his hand.

Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith.

The fact that Sidious was here told Maul that his old master was here to destroy everything he had worked and clawed for. Not only this, but the Dark Lord was here so that he could instill a harsh, cruel lesson upon the two brothers, and that was this: there could only be two Sith Lords, a master, and an apprentice, and Maul was no longer Sidious' apprentice. 

Maul knew that he had become a rival to his old master.

Collecting himself, Maul approached his old master boldly, his fearful demeanor was replaced with confidence. Sidious, however, was as vile as Maul remembered him, if not more so. The Dark Lord was a harbinger of death, ready to kill without hesitation, there was nothing that would stop him from fulfilling his mandate to the Sith Order, he sought to secure a legacy for only himself. Everything that has transpired was because of Sidious and him alone; from the blockade of Naboo to the Clone Wars itself and he was not going to allow a petty Sith assassin who fell victim to a Jedi Padawan to dethrone him from everything he had built. After all, Maul had been bested by Kenobi, and Sidious knew that Maul was like a loyal Loth-Wolf, he would bow to his knees the moment he raised his voice. Just when Sidious had finished strangling the two Mandalorian warriors, Maul kneeled before the man who took him as a child and trained him to be an instrument of vengeance.