[1] Start Again

Karin sat in an alley with a slightly torn blanket, a box of a few possessions and some leftovers. That had been her life for years. And every hour, and every day made life seem like it wasn't worth living.

••••

"Bro, what do you even need us for? When you do shit like this?" Moe smiled as he traced his hand down the hood of the SUV Roddy just bought

He cocked his head to the side, chuckling. "You my nigga, I don't care if you got shit. That doesn't matter to me."

They both turned their heads when the noticed someone walk into the garage.

"Oh my gawd, you guys always up! Or I should say down? Down in this damned garage." Lani gave them a sarcastic smile, then rolled her eyes at them. "What are y'all still doing? Get yo asses upstairs."

Without hesitation, they followed her back upstairs. It was four am and Moe was an impatient guy. They all had their own cars, two seaters, that they would occasionally street race in. But they'd never had a car they could all chill in. Tomorrow was the day they would take it for a ride.

"You know what... I think I'll head out." Roddy, stopped on a stair and Moe and Lani looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

"What? At four am?" Lani shook her head, then grabbed him by the jacket and pulled him up.

"Lani, what's wrong with me just catching a breath?" He spoke, his eyebrows furrowed. "Jus let him go." Moe sighed.

Lani let him go, rolling her eyes at him a second time. "Have fun." She giggled before disappearing upstairs.

••••

Roddy had been wondering around for not long, smoking a blunt he brought with him, when he saw someone sitting in the middle of an alley. Usually, he would ignore it, but whoever that was was cute enough to make him go their way. He dropped his blunt, then stepped on it, before entering the alley.

When he approached the young woman, he could see just how beautiful she was, even in her sleep. But the thing that confused him the most was how someone like her would be living on the streets.

He didn't want to ruin her sleep that could have been hard to get, but he wasn't okay with leaving without her, so he decided to wake her up.

"Hey, you okay there?" He crouched so they were eye level and tapped am her shoulder gently. He wanted to do anything but to startle her and make her feel uncomfortable.

Her eyes fluttered and yawned, then looked at Roddy confused. "Look, I ain't here to hurt you," he smiled but she still looked surprised. "Uh, what's yo name?"

She finally warmed up a bit, but naturally, she had trust issues because of her past and she never put too much hope into anyone she met on the streets. "I... Karin." She shivered but maintained a smile as she saw selflessness in his eyes.