Chapter One:

It was a dark night in Arcanite.

Really quiet, and nobody around.

Nothing but the moon to keep me company as I chafe my arms to form some heat in my body.

Even though this is a desert, somehow, at night, it's rather cold.

"You shouldn't be here."

I hear someone call out.

It's one of the night gaurds.

I've seen them around since two days ago, must be because of the new royalty that has stepped foot into our land after a long time.

They say that he is ruthless and nobody can get past him, you aren't even allowed to look him in the eyes.

Hm, he probably thinks that he is some kind of a god or something.

Honestly, I couldn't bother myself with those, as long as I keep out of trouble and hope to find a job to support myself, I will do so.

It's been a month roaming around, and it's been hard.

My family and I have gotten separated due to the clash that happened in our hometown. Royalties had come into our land and had forced the children to be taken from the parents to go on and do jobs for them at a young age.

Luckily, I was one of the few that got away.

I didn't want my life to be lived in a cage as a slave for people everyday, and most of all, I just wanted to see my family again. I miss them.

"Hey, I'm talking to you."

"Sorry."

The guard kicks me out of my thoughts.

"Move along."

He has a long spear in his hand as his face is half-covered and all I see is a scowl as I nod my head to turn around.

But before I do so....

"Do you perhaps know of a place in which I could stay for the night?"

"What?"

The guard spits back as I don't even know if I should repeat myself.

"I don't have a place to stay yet and-"

"Jasper."

A guy calls out from the shadows, I am unable to see his face as he has two other guys on each side of him as they had just come out of a house not too far away from me.

"Yes, your Majesty."

Majesty?

My heart instantly skips a beat in sudden fear as I had been looking directly into his direction without even knowing it was the Prince.

Quickly, I divert my gaze as I look down to the floor.

"Who's this?"

His Majesty speaks up once more as I assume that he is referring to me.

"Some homeless girl."

I scowl at his choice of words as it makes me feel small, even though it is true.

"What's your name, girl?"

Another voice speaks up and I hear that it is a feminine voice instead, soft and slow she speaks.

"Annaraiya."

"Hm," She lets out as I hear her footsteps get closer, I do not dare to look up. She stops in front of me as I notice her silk purple gown before I feel her lift my head to look her in the eyes. Her green eyes are covered by a dark eye-pencil and her lips are ruby red. "You seem fit."