Surprised is an understatement

This story was requested by 1ddirectioner93 Thanks so much to the suggestion and I hope you enjoy! 

~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a lovely day in Kanto, one Ash wished he wouldn't forget. He was finally back home after another journey and the only thing he wanted to do was see Misty. Well, there was more to it, but he had to get to Cerulean first.

There was a skip in his step as he walked, and a bright smile on his face. Pikachu happily sat on his shoulder, waiting to see their long time friend.

"This is going to be great! I can't wait to see the look on her face when we walk through the door. Right buddy?" Ash questioned his Pokémon partner.

"Pikachu!" Pikachu chirped in agreement.

"Man, I'm so excited. She's gonna flip when I ask." Ash remarked.

Pikachu laughed in response. It had been only a few days since Brock had let it slip that Misty had feelings for him. Sure it had been a long time since they had seen each other, but those feelings don't just disappear, right?

Soon, the Cerulean city entrance came into view and Ash picked up speed. That is, until he saw an unexpected ex rival of his.

"Gary?" Ash asked as he came to a stop a few feet away.

The professor in training turned around and to Ash's surprise, it was Gary. They stared at each other a moment, shocked to see the other.

"Hey, Ketchum. I didn't expect to see you around here." Gary said.

"Me either." Ash chuckled.

He then noticed that Gary was holding a bouquet of flowers. They were really pretty and looked expensive.

"So, what are the flowers for?" Ash asked.

"Oh these? They're for Misty. I'm gonna ask her out with the help of these babies. Not that I need them, but I thought she would like them." Gary replied.

"Wait what?" Ash jerked back. "You're going to ask Misty out? That's what I'm doing!"

Gary's eyes widened a moment before a smug grin rested on his mouth.

"Oh really? And here I thought you would never know anything but Pokémon." Gary laughed. "Looks like I was wrong this time, but I'm not wrong about this. You have no chance with Misty. Maybe you did in the past, but not anymore more."

"So you think you have a better chance than me?" Ash crossed his arms.

"Oh, I know I do." Gary smirked.

"I'm sure." Ash sarcastically. "It's not like you traveled with her for years, and got to spend a ton of time with her. Getting to know her and stealing her heart in the process. Oh, wait. That's right, that was me."

"You're forgetting one thing, Ashy boy." Gary grumbled, poking him in the chest. "It's been years. People move on, and I have no doubt Misty has. I'm sure she won't be happy to move on to me."

"That's what you think! But I'm going to ask her out and she is going to say yes!" Ash yelled.

"Please! I'm the only one who has a chance with her! We both know it! So back off, Ketchum! Or else." Gary growled.

"Or else what Oak? You'll lecture me on a starter Pokémon!" Ash hissed.

"You just don't know when to quickly, do you?" Gary gritted his teeth.

"Nope, and you know what else, I've gotten smarter." Ash grinned.

He quickly swiped the bouquet from Gary's hands and tossed them over his shoulder. After that he took off running towards the gym.