Chapter Five: Zelda

I slip out of bed and make my way blindly to my bedroom door. I can't sleep tonight. It’s been a week since Ganondorf brought Link to me and everything has been great. He keeps to himself most of the time, though if I pressure him for long enough, I can get him to talk to me. The only thing is that for some reason I can't stop thinking about him. He’s been on my mind all night, and I can't get him out of my head. I tried counting sheep, playing my own lullaby that Impa always sung to me in my head, even running in place to get myself exhausted. But none of that worked. I slip out of my room and start walking down the halls, reaching the staircase and traveling down. It’s not until I'm already at the garden that I find where I'm going. My feet were just moving on their own. 

            I sit down on a stone bench, closing my eyes and letting my mind wander. But no matter what I try to think about, my mind always wanders back to Link. How can one boy entering my life just change it just as quickly as he came? I think of the way his hair falls over his eyes, the way his eyes always seem to gaze upon the floor. Their color was the first thing caught my attention. His sky blue eyes are a kind of blue I have never seen before. I think of how, when his eyes rest upon me, my heart starts to beat faster, my palms get sweaty, and I can't really think straight. Why is this? Why is Link of all people different than any other boy I've seen? Does he feel the same way about me? I guess there’s only one way to find out and that’s to spend time with him.

            I hear heavy footsteps coming from the entrance and I glance in that direction. I see Ganondorf making his way towards me, his armor he wore today still on. I brace myself, ready for the Ganondorf I know and not the one my parents see.

            “Zelda, my dear,” Ganondorf says as he nears me. “You're looking fine this evening.”

            I glance down at my white nightgown that is lined with lace and curse myself. Why did I go out of my bedroom at night in just this if Ganondorf is around? “What do you want,” I ask, standing up from my comfy spot on the bench.

            “I merely want to speak with you,” Ganondorf replies. He stops a few paces away and glares down at me. This is the Ganondorf I know.

            “And what about,” I ask, crossing my arms and glaring up at him with equal fire.

            “About how my plan is working and yours is . . . not,” he replies, smirking in his usual way.

            “I don’t care what my parents say,” I say with as much harshness as I can muster. “Even if I do marry you, that doesn’t mean that I’ll give you the Triforce of Wisdom willingly. You’ll have to kill me if you want it.”

            “Then why don’t I kill you now and get it over with, then I’ll only have to find the last piece before Hyrule can become mine.”

            “You wouldn’t,” I say, knowing that I'm right. “You want to watch me be miserable. You want to watch me have to deal with the wedding. Plus, if you kill me, my parents will find out your true intention much faster and they’ll ban you from Hyrule in any way they can. That and the holder of the Triforce of Courage will finally realize what he is meant to do and he’ll move to defeat you, like he is destined.”