Chapter Twenty-four: Zelda

I look at how still the clear, blue water is. It only took me and Malon one day to get to Lake Hylia, for we traveled from sunrise to sunset and used Thunder and Malon’s horse, Emerald: a snow-white mare with a silver mane. She's a lot like Epona, but friendlier to people that she knows. Speaking of Epona, Malon and I set her loose just in case Link somehow escaped from whoever caught him. I now stand on the edge of Lake Hylia, looking at how it seems to span out for miles. Malon is at my side looking around for anything that could be used to summon a light spirit.

            “I don’t get it,” I say to her as I cross my arms. “The light spirit said this is one of the places where I can find one of the light spirits. I don’t get why it isn't showing itself.”

            “Maybe something's wrong,” Malon suggests, pacing back and forth while her feet make ripples in the shallow water she's in. “Maybe we have to do something in order to get it to appear.”

            “I don’t know,” I say, looking out into the water. “Something's there.”

            “What do you mean,” Malon asks, coming to my side.

            “I . . . I feel something,” I say, referring to the evil presence I feel in the water.

            “Holy Din,” she suddenly cries, her eyes glued to the deep part of the lake. “You're right, there is something there.”

            I look up from my reflection and look out into the lake. I see nothing for the first few moments, though I soon see a black line make its way through the water. It comes closer; make a huge ripple through the water as it . . . swims?

            “What is that thing,” I ask as I draw out my bow and fit an arrow into the string.

            Malon follows my lead, stepping back behind me and drawing out the dagger at her waist. “You do know what you're doing, right, Zel,” she asks, her eyes locked on the black line.

            “No,” I admit, “I don’t.”

            Malon doesn’t get a chance to reply, because the black line has made its way to the edge of the lake and I can now see what it is: a sea serpent, those ancient creatures that try to attack sacred places in hope to get the power that’s there.

            “We have to fight it,” I call to Malon, though I'm not sure she heard. The snake’s head, as well as much of its body, comes splashing out of the water. Its long, black body looks like it’s made of millions of shiny scales. Its eyes are little red beads on the sides of its head while its red tongue lashes out, probably sensing Malon and I. Its tail pops out of the water a few feet away from the edge, and it swings around, nearly chopping off my head.

            I take aim with my bow and shoot an arrow at the snake, missing by centimeters. I didn’t hurt the snake, but I sure made it annoyed. It flicks its tongue out at me, making sure it knows where I am, before dive-bombing towards me, its mouth open and its teeth ready to bite. I roll out of the way at the last second; shoving Malon along with me and making the snake hit the ground with its head. It sits there, dazed for a moment and I take that chance and shoot another arrow at it.  This time though, the arrow hits it in the eye. I watch as blood starts to ooze out of it and the snake picks its head up and thrashes around in pain a little. I hear Malon shriek at the sight, and I can't blame her. The snake regains its senses and swings its tail at us once more. I jump and grab onto it as it passes, feeling some of Link’s recklessness rubbing off on me. Or maybe I'm just trying to copy what he did to Volvagia? The snake swings me around, feeling something on its tail. I manage to stay on though, digging my hands into the rough scales and climbing with my bow clutched in my hand. I can see Malon dodging around, trying to stay out of the snake’s line of fire. I continue climbing, feeling the muscles in my fingers and arms strained.