Chapter Thirty-one: Link

Our disguises vanish as Zelda’s power is diverted to her light arrows. As the blast of magic comes towards her, she shoots her arrow towards it and when both collide, they both disappear. I can see Estrella’s eyes twitch with annoyance as she flicks her wrist and a dagger appears in her hand, though looks a lot like a shadow. Of course: shadow magic. I see her eyes narrow as she focuses on Zelda, aiming towards her as Zelda draws back another light arrow. Good news: Estrella isn't focused on me. I take my chance and jump forward, raising the Master Sword above my head as I begin to bring it down on her, but she sees Zelda’s eyes look behind her. Next thing I know, I've crashed into an invisible barrier and am tumbling around on the ground.

            “By the gods,” Estrella cries as she knocks Zelda backward with an invisible force and starts walking towards me, her shadow dagger still in hand. “I can't turn my back on you for one second and not have you ruining my moment of fun!”

            I get to my feet and hold the Master Sword in my left hand, waiting for the right moment. Estrella lets go of the dagger and I block it with my sword, however, I move steadily closer to her, waiting for the right time to use her debt against her. She can't refuse the warrior’s code! From the corner of my eye, I see Zelda release a light arrow once more and Estrella doesn’t seem to see it. But evidently she did because a second later, Zelda is smacked against the wall, a shocked look spread upon her face. I use this chance and come down on Estrella again, though I'm ready for the barrier this time. I point the Master Sword ahead of me and watch as the tip of it breaks the barrier with ease. Estrella has to dive out of the way as I come down. Estrella immediately has a dagger in her hand and with a flick of her wrist, she throws it. I'm caught off-guard by this, but Fi comes out of the Master Sword with a blue light and blocks it for me.

            “Thanks, Fi,” I say and look over at Zelda worriedly. I see her faring well and turn my attention back to Estrella.

            “Looks like both of us have a trick up our sleeves,” she says as she gazes at Fi, who stars back with her own sword drawn. But I see her hand behind her back form another shadow dagger and I'm instantly in the way of her aim at Zelda. Estrella looks at me, disgust written all over her face, but she doesn’t throw it. “You're blocking my way, Hero!”

            “A life for a life,” is all I say as I peek behind me at Zelda, who has drawn back a light arrow at last and has it aimed at the area around Estrella.

            Estrella looks at me for some time, not saying a word and moving her gaze to take in every inch of me. Finally, at long last, she says, “fine, a life for a life, though that doesn’t include your own life!”

            She throws the dagger with precision and almost hitting me square in the chest. But I bring the Master Sword up at the last second and hit the dagger, forcing it to go upward, though not without taking some of my skin with it. I wince at the pain, but ready myself for another attack. This attack isn't what I anticipated and Estrella ends up punching the Master Sword and making it fly out of my grasp. Fi is instantly upon Estrella, swinging her sword like crazy. Though to my dismay, Estrella is smart as well as powerful and forms a barrier around Fi, keeping her from interfering. Zelda finally shoots her arrow, though Estrella once again forms a barrier to block it. Zelda is useless and I'm helpless without a weapon in my grasp. Or . . . am I weaponless?