Chapter Twenty-six: Zelda

The bird cries out loudly as one of my arrows connects with its feet. If my aim was aimed off even slightly, it wouldn't've hit the bird at all. The giant bird came out of a nearby tree as Malon and I approached the spring in Kakariko. Its wide, brown, feathered wings stretch out wider as it dives, closing in on me. I wait until the last second and jump out of the way, running into Malon in the process. I shout a quick apology to Malon and take aim once again, but my arrow flies past the bird and lands in a nearby tree. However, I see another arrow fly and hit the bird square in the chest. I look beside me and see Malon staring wide-eyed at the bird as it falls to the ground, the bow and arrows she bought herself in the town before we came to the spring are clutched in her hands.

            “Nice shot,” I say, “even if it was just luck.”

            “Thanks,” Malon beams as we both step towards the spring. It’s located next to a rock formation with small waterfalls pouring into it. I wait and watch as the light takes over and the light spirit appears; this one in the shape of the bird Malon just killed.

            Thank you, it says, I am the light spirit Eldin of the Eldin providence. I am assuming you two are the ones who saved me?

            “Yes, oh spirit of the light,” I reply, lowering my head to show respect. “We were.”

            Again, I thank you, Eldin continues. Now, word has reached me about the current situation you are in. Lanayru’s advice still stands: you must beware of the Shadow Children! As for the hero, he will be fine as long as he holds up; you need not fret about him. The final light spirit is located deep in Faron Woods, but if you follow the rock line, you should get there faster. That is all. I watch as Eldin disappears in a burst of golden light.

            “‘Follow the rock line’,” Malon repeats. “That’s easy.”

            “We just go outside of Kakariko,” I say, knowing where Malon is going with this. “And follow the rocks as they disappear into the forest.”

            “But it also said ‘beware of the Shadow Children’ again,” she says as she leaps onto Emerald and I Thunder. “What does that mean?”

            “I don’t know,” I admit as we gallop out of the peaceful Kakariko Village and out to Hyrule Field.

            It’s not until hours later that it happens. We are on the edge of the forest, about to go in, when I see a boy with hair as white as snow wearing black and purple armor that clinks together as the horse he is on runs. I draw out my bow and pull back an arrow in the string. I urge Thunder to go faster, and I watch as Malon does the same. The first arrow flies past me and lands in a nearby tree. Clearly, this guy is looking to wound or kill. I make sure Thunder has a clear path to run before turning around and letting my arrow go. My aim is true and the arrow hits the boy’s upper arm and he cries out, though doesn’t slow his horse down. The boy aims again and hits another tree trunk, though I can tell that this one is intentional. It’s low enough so Thunder and Emerald panic a little as the arrow makes a loud thud and both horses slow down and prance around. I do my best and finally get Thunder under control, though I can see that Malon is having a little trouble with Emerald. I look back at the boy and see that he's nearly caught up to us. I draw back another arrow and let it go, but the boy holds out his hand and the arrow dissolves before my very eyes.

            His name is Milo, sister of Zara, the holder of the Triforce of Power. The voice comes to my head, though I don’t know where it came from. I listen to it, heeding the words of wisdom it is giving me. Wisdom . . . of course! The voice is Nayru talking to me. He is one of the Shadow Children that Lanayru and Eldin talked about. They wield a strange magic, old and almost as ancient as the Triforce itself. However, because they have the Triforce of Power, their magic has become stronger.

            ‘Wait,’ I think so Nayru will hear me, but no one else will. ‘Lanayru said that you may have the enemy wrong. I mean, yes, Zara may be the enemy, but what proof do you have that she has the Triforce of Power.’

            Always the smart one, and, in answer to your question, yes, the thought has crossed my mind. But my sisters insist that they are right. So, it could be Zara, but I believe that Estrella is the one we must watch out for. I believe that she is the one who killed Ganondorf and took the Triforce of Power, however, even Din doesn’t know and that’s saying a lot. Whoever is using that piece of the Triforce is resisting Din’s influence, which is a first. I must go, but use your dagger to defeat Milo, for the sword that Milo uses is the Dark Sword and emits dark energy. The only weapons in this world that can match it are the Blade of Evil’s Bane and the Arrows that Banish Darkness, which you are soon to receive once you have met all the light spirits. Farewell and good luck.

            Nayru’s presence leaves me and when I come out of my trance, I see the Dark Sword make a cut on Malon’s arm just as she cuts open Milo’s horse’s neck. The horse falls to the ground and Milo goes down with it, I take this chance to pull Emerald and Thunder deeper into the forest. I look at Malon’s arm and see that it’s bleeding more heavily than it should. Maybe . . . just maybe . . . the wounds the Dark Sword makes cannot heal by just the body alone. The healer in the ground, Lanayru’s words flow through my head. I know just where to go as well: a fairy fountain. It all just makes since now.

            I guide Thunder, Emerald, and Malon through the forest until I hear it: laughter of something that is human, and yet, isn't. A fairy’s laughter is much different from any human’s laughter. I walk through the bushes and trees until I find a small pond of water with tiny fairy fluttering around. All they look like are tiny balls of light speeding around. I help Malon off Emerald and she sits down in the water. I watch as her wound heals when one of the fairies flies in circles around her.

            “Wow,” Malon whispers under her breath. “I think we should rest here for tonight, I've had enough excitement for one day.”

            “Yeah,” I reply as I sit down next to her and lay down with my feet in the water of the fairy fountain, “me too.”