05

nari silently watched jaemin who is currently playing with the children

         nari silently watched jaemin who is currently playing with the children. she was preparing the table for dinner when she heard screams from the children so she ran to the play area only to see jaemin carrying minjae on his back while chasing the children, acting like he's a dinosaur.

jaemin and nari reconciled earlier and they were starting to get to know each other better when the elders asked nari to help them prepare food. jaemin was about to help her when the children came to him and asked him to play with them.

nari flinched when she felt a hand pat her shoulder. “he looks like a good person, isn't he?” sister seohyun also looked at jaemin who's playing with the children.

“he told me he had just continued visiting now after stopping for two years. how come i never saw him before?

sister seohyun chuckled at nari, “you talk as if you don't lock yourself in your room whenever there are visitors. and you're friends with his sister when you were little, don't you remember? he probably knows you until now.

“he has a sister?” nari was confused, renjun always talked about jaemin but he didn't mention that he has a sister. and no, he couldn't even remember meeting me thrice in our university. it's impossible he still knows me, she thought.

sister seohyun gently slapped her own mouth, acting as if she said something that she shouldn't have. “yes, but it's not my story to tell you more.

the elders called the kids to the dinner table. jaemin sat beside nari who handed her some tissue to wipe his sweat off. laughters and warmth filled the dinner table. they devoured the omurice which is sister seohyun's specialty. not too long, jaemin and nari have to go home as they still have requirements to do tommorow. the two bid their goodbyes to the orphanage with smile in their faces.

jaemin scanned his bus card and paid for two people. his action earned a thanks from nari who sat beside him.

the ride was silent, until jaemin spoke. can i ask you something? but it's okay if you din't want to talk about it.

“is it why am i the only kid in your age left with the children?

jaemin gulped, he didn't know nari would see right through him. but he's too curious and too worried not to ask. “y-yeah, i remember having friends there.

“they're with their foster parents now.”

jaemin's head was hung low. nari sounded lonely, he immediately regretted asking about it. jaemin fwlt stupid for asking that question.

nari noticed jaemin's expression, “it's okay, jaemin. even though it still hurts when one of the children needs to leave the home, i'm happy for them. i've become one of the elders there and i love it. do you know why i wanted to become an engineer? i wanted to build a mansion for them—oh, sorry. i talked a lot, didn't i?”

jaemin smiled at her, “no, it's fine. i loved hearing about your affection to your home.

“you know what? you seem nothing like what you looked like in university.

jaemin paused for a second and chuckled. he finds nari's words amusing. “what do i look like in university?

without second thoughts, nari answered, “you look like you'll beat the shit out of everyone.

jaemin laughed, earning glances from some passengers in the bus. “ya, i don't fight with everyone! they just provoke me.

“whatever you say. do you want a bubblegum?

“is it strawberry flavored?

well, i didn't know i'll bump into you so i only brought strawberry.

jaemin yawned and closed his eyes, leaning his head on nari's shoulders making her stiffen on her spot. “start bringing non strawberry flavored gums now because we'll bump into each other more often.