Chapter 5

As the sun rose, so did my excitement. I had so many questions for Josh. Any moment now Raina would arrive and I would be set free. I glanced at the clock on the wall and had the urge to break it. It was ticking too slowly. My leg kept on bouncing as my patience started to grow thin. I glared at the door's lock. Why wasn't she here already?

I was pacing the room when Raina finally showed up.

"What took you so long?" I scowled at her.

"A bit impatient, are we?" Her eyes twinkled in amusement.

"That was your punishment for troubling me yesterday. I hope you have learned your lesson. Come on, let's go."

I didn't move instead, I stood there glaring at her.

"Or you can just stay here, right?" she asked with a light smile on her face. She was mocking me. She knew I would never stay inside my room when there was a chance to go out.

Grumbling under my breath, I followed her to the cafeteria.

I took my plate and scanned the crowd for Josh and Kathy. I couldn't find them. Maybe, they decided to skip breakfast. A bit disappointed, I sat at an empty table. Like yesterday the food was bland. Everyone ate it without any complaints. They were used to it and soon I had to be too.

When I couldn't force myself to eat anymore, I went up to my room. It almost looked like a normal hospital room with white tiles and walls, a bed, a table with a few drawers, a chair, a clock, ac vents, and a window. The things that weren't normal were the restraints attached to my bed, the window made of thick glass and the bed, the table and the chair firmly fixed to the floor.

Sighing, I sat on the bed. These things weren't normal for a normal hospital. But they were normal for a psychiatric one.

"Is zoning out one of your hobbies?"

Startled by the voice, I looked around the room to find Susan sitting on the chair beside me.

"What do you want?" I drawled out, already tired of this conversation.

"I want you to get better," she said trying to sound sincere.

I rolled my eyes, "I would feel a lot better if you leave me alone."

I expected a glare, a scowl or even complete ignorance of my words. But she did neither of those. Instead she laughed- catching me completely off guard. But what surprised me the most was how real it sounded.

I looked at her in shock as she leaned closer. I could feel her breath on my face as she whispered in my ear, "That's not the way to talk to your doctor."

She leaned back and tilted her head, a dangerous glint her eyes, "I prescribe your medicines after all. I could accidentally give you the wrong ones."

"I could tell others that you threatened me!"

She laughed more at that.

"Who do you think they would believe, hm? You, a mental patient? Or me, a doctor who has been treating people like you for years?"

She got up and whispered, "It's best if you keep this conversation between us, is it not?"

I don't know when she left. All I could feel was fear. I was afraid, not of her but of how true her words were. No sane person would believe me over her.

I felt trapped in this room. I stumbled outside my room and almost collided with someone. Not looking up, I muttered Sorry and tried to rush past. But a hand on my wrist stopped me.

I looked up to see Raina and tried to calm down.

"Are you alright, Renda? The common room is that way," she pointed in the opposite direction.

"Cafeteria," That was the only word I could manage to get out.

"The cafeteria only serves the morning breakfast. The lunch and dinner are served in the common room." She looked at me, frowning.

"Are you alright? Do you need to sit down? Should I call the doctor?"

Hearing that made my heart race, I couldn't afford to see Susan right now.

"I will be fine. I'm just a bit dizzy. I'm not used to the food here so I didn't eat much breakfast." I hoped I sounded convincing enough for Raina to believe me.

"I know you are lying but as I said, tell me when you are comfortable. Come on now," I followed after her silently.

I wished I could tell her about Susan. I didn't like lying to her but I didn't have any other choice. I was a patient and Susan was the doctor who was supposed to cure me. At the end of the day, I knew that Raina would not believe me when I had no proof.

Proof! I did have proof. It was Susan's journal. There must something in it that would help in proving Susan guilty. I had to get the journal from Josh.

"I will see you later, I have to go now," I rushed past Raina into the common room.

As soon as I entered, I started looking for Josh.There was no sign of him. Kathy wasn't there either. Dejected, I took my plateand decided to wait for them at the same table as yesterday.