Chapter 13

The common room was buzzing with patients, some lining up to get food, some searching for a place to sit while others, completely busy in eating. A pale blonde, as Raina had described that's what Kathy was. Spotting her in the crowd was easy; she stuck out like a sore thumb. As I expected, she sat with a man who had a wheatish complexion with black curly swirls covering his head. That must be Josh.

Taking my plate, I sat at a table across from them, waiting for them to notice me. I couldn't directly approach them with all the guards present. I wasn't supposed to know them. Dammit! They weren't looking my way! How was I supposed to get their attention?

Rolling my eyes, I looked at my plate. Peas! We were having peas! Ugh! My stomach grumbled, having no choice I was about to eat them when a brilliant idea struck my mind. When the guards weren't looking, I took a few peas in my plastic spoon and flicked them in Kathy's direction.

Unfortunately, I had a slightly bad aim. Instead of hitting Kathy, the peas hit some other guy's head sitting three tables behind her.

Rubbing his head, he got up. "Who the fuck did that?!" he exclaimed, scanning the crowd for the offender. I lowered my head and looked at my plate as if it was the most interesting thing in the world. I peeked at the guy to see a guard approaching him.

"Sit down." the guard ordered sternly and with clenched fists and gritted teeth the guy sat down.

I raised my head and glanced at Kathy and Josh, to find Josh staring at me with a knowing grin on his face. He was about to get up when Kathy stopped him. It seemed like they were arguing about something. Josh shrugged off Kathy's hand and headed towards me. Frowning, I glanced at Kathy to see her scowling at me.

"Don't mind her. She's just worried about me." Josh said as he pulled out the chair beside me and sat down. "She thinks talking with you would cause me to light up another fire and then get sent to solitary again."

"You lit the fire?" I asked with eyes wide in surprise. Taken aback, he blinked a few times. Clearing his throat, he asked, "Did you lose your memory again? How can you remember me and not remember who set the fire?"

"Raina filled me in on what happened," I answered as briefly as I could. But he wasn't willing to let this go. "Why would she do that? She didn't tell you the truth previously. Why now?" he asked with eyebrows furrowed deep in thought.

"I had a different nurse before her," I replied.

He shook his head in denial. "No, no you didn't." He was about to continue when a plate slamming on the table cut him off.

"Hello, little miss!" He sat directly in front of us, "Mike missed you a lot." He said, flashing me a grin. Josh looked at me, one eyebrow raised as if to say what's going on. "Later" I whispered and leaned forward in my seat towards Mike.

"I need your help, Mike will you help me?" My voice was pleading. He nodded vigorously, excited to help. "Do you know a place where we can meet without the guards, doctors, or nurses watching?"

His eyebrows creased together in concentration, it seemed like he was trying to remember if such a place existed. His features morphed into joy, "Yes! Mike knows such a place. Mike has been there."

"Can you take us there tonight?" I asked hopefully. He nodded in agreement, "At 11, get Mike out of Mike's room and Mike will show you where the place is."

"Josh?" I questioned.

He waved his hand in front of him, "Yeah, yeah I'll get you guys out."

I glanced back at Mike, "It's settled then." He gave me a slight nod and left. As soon as he did, Kathy joined us. She glared at me, "What the hell was that? Are you friends with that lunatic now?"

"Mike is not a lunatic!" I said, enraged.

"Oh! Defending him, I see." She said in a mocking voice, "A few more days and you'd start acting like him."

"That's enough!" Josh said in a soft but stern voice.

"Why? We got sent to solitary while she sat here in luxury and made friends with that lunatic."

"Enough Kathy!"

"Why? Can't digest the truth, can you Josh?"

"She lost her memory! That is not a luxury!" he argued back.

"Exactly, she forgot about us! She forgot about you, I didn't! And yet you choose to take her side," she scoffed as she pushed her plate away and averted her gaze.

I could see that solitary had taken a toll on her. Her porcelain skin covered with dark circles under her blue eyes, it seemed like she was having trouble sleeping. No wonder she was bursting out in anger. I got so carried away with thoughts of Sierra that I neglected my friends.

"Kathy, look at me please." She was hesitating. "Please Kathy" She turned her gaze to me, trying to blink back the unshed tears in her eyes. I leaned forward in my seat, "I'm sorry that I wasn't there for you. I was dealing with demons of my own. But I promise you that I'll explain everything tonight when we meet. Okay?"

"Okay," She whispered and nodded. I got up and picked my plate, "We'll meet tonight. Till then, you guys sort out whatever disagreement that you had." I put my plate in the bin and went to the garden, hoping to find Emily.