James Rod

We sit down for dinner at my nice big kitchen table. That is, my mom, my dad, my brother, Linda, and I. My brother is 17 so no way would Linda ever like him, plus he's got a girlfriend.

"I am glad you could stay Linda," my mom says.

"I am too, your cooking is way better than my mom's," Linda replies.

Everyone laughs including me. After dinner I walk Linda home because it's dark out and she can't get a ride. My mom said that I could defend her if anything happens, because I know karate. I'm a black belt. Boo yah! It gets a little chilly and she shivers next to me.

"You cold?" I ask her. Now what a dumb thing to ask.

"A bit...you?" she says.

"I'm rarely cold, just hot," I tell her.

She stops in front of a small little house at the end of the street.

"This is it," she says.

"Okay, see you tomorrow, and um...yes," I say.

"Yes?" she asks confuzed.

"Yes, I will help you."

She smiles. Once she's inside I sprint home. Man I was freezing.

***

I wake up the next morning with a smile on my face. I was happy to go to school for once. I take a quick shower and put on jeans and a t-shirt. I put on bracelets to cover my scars. I go downstairs and put a slice of leftover pizza in my mouth.

"Babe, pizza in the morning?" my mom says looking up from the table with a mug of coffee in her hands.

"Why not?" I say filling a thermos full of coffee to take to school with me.

"Whatever," she sighs going back to reading the paper.

I walk out of the house and sip a bit of my coffee. I make it to school just as the bell rings and start to walk to my classroom.

"Hey! Look who it is!" I hear a voice say from behind me, "I was starting to think you weren't coming to school this year."

I turn around slowly. Emily.

"Um...I should be getting to class now sorry gotta run bye," I say turning to sprint down the hall.

"Not so fast," a gruff voice says grabbing my backpack and slamming me to the ground.

A kick in the gut makes me double over coughing. I hear Emily laughing. I get punched hard in the nose and I feel it start to gush blood. Blood...blood...blood...Someone steps on my arm and I hear it snap. Damn, is it broken? My brain is all funny from having hit it on the ground so hard. Why am I not using my karate you ask? I'm a whimp. I'm a goody two-shoes and don't want to get into any trouble.

"Fag!" the gruff voice says, "You should die and burn in hell."

Die...sounds like a good idea now. Footsteps send Emily and her new friend running. Owwy my arm hurts. I see someone leaning over me and pushing the hair out of my face. I got a black eye and I probably look like shit.

"Hey, what happened?" a voice as smooth as silk asks.

I make a noise that sort of sounds like 'Ergthweyr'. The person laughs.

"Here, I'll take you to the nurse," the silky voice says and I feel arms picking me up and carry me down the hall.

Voices are talking but they are muffled. My brain is still mush.

"Concussion...sprained arm...black eye...bruised rib...can't go home...parents at work..."

The nurse? When did we arrive here?

"Hey, my name is James Rod by the way," the voice says.

"It would be nice to meet you if I wasn't in my current condition," I mutter.

He laughs. I smile. His laugh is so sexy. Why have I never met this human angel before?

"Why haven't I seen you before?" I ask him.

"I'm new to the school," he says, "I was just walking to the office to find out my homeroom class."

"Oh..." I say.

He laughs again and I swear my heart explodes. He's so perfect. Unfortunatly for me, a guy like him would never be with a girl like me. He needs someone better.

"Alright, here's some pain meds," the nurse says, "Take it easy, and here's a note for your gym teacher saying you can sit out until I say otherwise."

"Thanks," I say sliding off the bed.

My head has started to clear by the time I reach the classroom and give a late slip to Mr.Weldon and take my seat next to Linda. I hear her gasp.

"What happened?!" she cries, "You look terrible!"

"I got beat up," I shrug, "Doesn't matter."

"Doesn't matter?!" she says hysterically, "You are seriously injured! See the nurse!"

"I already did, well...I got carried there but still," I tell her.

"Oooo who carried you?" she says mockingly.

"James Rod, new kid, and I swear he fell from heaven."

We both start to laugh. I hear the classroom door open and I look up. James Rod has just walked in and he sees me. He walks over and sits across from me.

"Hey," he says and winks at me, "Don't you just look swell."

I grin at him but wince in pain.

"Take the pill you dumb butt," he says but he grins.

I do as I'm told and go back to listening to Mr.Weldon talk about common grammatical errors. I'm sort of weird, and since I'm usually alone at home during the week and weekends, I just sit in my room and study. I already know everything all the teachers talk about. James nudges my shoulder.

"Want to come over tonight?" he asks.

Oh my god. James wants me over at his house.

"Yah sure," I say.

Damn, going to James's house. I can't wait.

Um...hope you enjoyed it? It was long I think...so yah....Enjoy?
***Ella