Chapter 7: Caught

My mom walks through the gates, only thirty minutes after the fight. Her face red out of anger, not able to look at me when I sit outside of the principal's office. Still alone.

The girl who has bullied me and her boyfriend seem to get away with everything. And yet, I still haven't found Jess.

After my mother warned me to stay in my seat and entered the office, I ran as fast as I could down the hallway. Not sure where to look for him. I am already in trouble. How horrible can I make it?

There only seems one logical place to search for him, and once I enter the library I see it is empty. Except for one person.

'Jess', I sigh relieved when I see him sitting on the window seal, staring outside. A black-eye showing again. He looks over at me, a broken glance on his face when I walk closer. Taking a seat next to him.

'Are you okay?' I whisper and lay my hand on his knee. He keeps quiet, not saying a word. Making me more desperate with every second. 'Talk to me', I beg him.

Then he looks up, his eyes red as if he has cried, making me feel more nervous then I already am. 'Your mother has found out, and it's my fault', he hisses, laying his head in his hands.

'She would have found out either way', I try to make things better, but he doesn't want to hear it. 'Now it is my fault. I am responsible for this and I might never see you again'. His jaw tightens when he clenches his teeth together, pure frustration.

'I'm not going anywhere'. 'Your mother is furious. I shouldn't have let you lie, I shouldn't have attacked those people', his knuckles tighten and I take his hand in mine without thinking.

'What did they do to you?' I say, tears in my eyes. He sighs deep before answering me. 'They used to do the same to me as they were doing to you. Pure bullying and making fun of you until you lose control', he explains.

'I'm sorry, Jess'. He looks up when I say that, disbelief in his eyes. 'You are sorry? Maddy this isn't your fault my life has always been a mess.' 'I thought I could help you', I whisper. 'I care about you'.

'No one can help me. This whole world is messed up', he breaths. I open his hand, laying mine in it. Our fingers tangled. 'We can make our own world. If I have learned anything from my small career, it is that you can follow your dreams, no matter how big. You can be whoever you want to be.'

I look him right in the eyes, the wound getting darker with any minute. 'You are the only one I can talk too', he whispers. 'I can't have you leaving me.'

'I won't', I promise him when the doors open and our principal walks in, followed by no one else but my mother. I release his hand immediately, afraid for what is coming.

'Mariano, to my office', the principal says. 'Home, Madelaine', my mother mumbles mad when I jump of the window seal.

'It wasn't her fault Mrs Scott', Jess says and I hold him back when my mother turns around. 'Jess, no...', I beg him.

'I am sure you are the reason my daughter is giving up on her career, young man. I wouldn't recommend trying that again. She is born to dance', my mom hisses at him.

'No, I'm not! I never wanted that stupid career in the first place. All I want is to be normal!' I yell at her. After one long look of irritation she turns around without yelling back. This is worse than having a fight. I know I am never coming back here.

Never.