Chapter Two- The Night

It was almost 1 am and Jughead was back at home in his one-bedroom apartment in the city. The night turned into complete shambles after Betty left. The city streets wore him out as he and his friends walked block after block to get to each destination. Their next stop was a bowling alley, and Jughead's head wasn't all that into it. He thought he was safe from running into Betty when he and Emily moved to the city after graduation, considering Riverdale was a distance away, and Jughead thought Betty would settle in New Haven. Tonight was horrifying for him, and he wanted so badly to erase it.

As Jughead stood in the entryway of his apartment, he scanned it, soaking in the worst images his mind could possibly depict from tonight. He set the keys on the entry table next to the front door before dragging his feet to the refrigerator, opening it up and reached inside to grab a beer. His buzz was killed not long after they left the club, and Jughead wanted so badly to return to that drunken state. He cracked the bottle open with a beer bottle opener, then brought the opening of the bottle up to his mouth and drank the contents of it. Sobriety sucked, and Jughead didn't want any part of it, not after tonight. He gulped the rest of the beer, drinking every last drop before tossing the empty glass bottle into the trash. He then reached back inside the fridge again and pulled out another one. Grabbing beer bottle after beer bottle brought flashbacks to when his dad used to drink. He remembered the sheer hatred he had for his dad when he chose beer over his own family. Jughead used to turn his nose up at the smell of alcohol, hated every scent of it, but something about being older made him understand why his dad did it.

Life sucks. That's really all there is to it.

He took the top off the bottle, then walked over to his gray leather couch. He sank back into the seat cushions, getting comfortable, then picked up the TV remote that was lying right next to him. He turned on Netflix and started roaming through his top recommendations.

He looked through his account for five minutes before giving up and decided to turn on a random murder mystery documentary series. The first episode started, and Jughead took his phone out of his pocket and saw the empty lock screen. He was hoping Emily would call or text him before she went to sleep, but she hadn't yet, and Jughead started to get a little worried. He texted her goodnight, then leaned forward, setting his phone on the coffee table before grabbing his beer.

It was bizarre nowadays for him to be watching a murder mystery series. As the episode continued, he realized he hadn't watched one since he was with Betty. Murder mysteries were always their thing, and after he left Riverdale, he stopped thinking about them as much.

As he drowned himself in his beer, he stayed slumped back against the couch, eyeing the TV. The episode finally ended, and Jughead debated whether or not he should watch another one or go to bed. Netflix made the decision for him and started playing the next episode. Jughead shrugged to himself as he placed the empty beer bottle against his chest, feeling the effects of the alcohol start up again. His eyes got heavier, ignoring the bottle slowly gliding off his chest as he laid completely still. His phone vibrated, and Jughead was too dozy to pay any mind to it. His body continued to relax as he stared blankly at the TV.

Unfortunately, his drowsy state didn't last long. There was a sudden banging on the door, jerking his body awake. He yawned and looked over at the door as he rubbed his eyes and stood up off the couch. He walked over to the door and opened it up -- to a girl wearing those familiar black stiletto heels. He raked his eyes up her body -- she had on a short gray ruffled skirt, a tight black v-neck sweater, and a Michael Kors crossbody purse. She had her blonde hair down and the same face of make-up as earlier.

"Betty?" He scratched his head, noticing the uneasiness in her eyes. "What are you doing here?"

She immediately shoved past him, aggressively clacking her heels against the hardwood floor as she walked with anticipation. "I know it's late, I'm sorry." She stopped in the middle of his entryway and turned back to him. Jughead was still holding the door open, looking confused and slowly started to shut it.