Chapter 3

The next night, Katsuki half expected the mystery boy to show up once again. When he didn't, the blond had to run a hand down his face and let out a huff.

If he wanted answers, it appeared he'd need to hunt them down himself.

When he woke up the morning after, he groggily headed down to the kitchen. He was planning on going and walking around the town a little bit, maybe find the boy lingering around somewhere.

If all else fails, at least he'd get a better feel of the town. The place still felt foreign to him.

"Morning brat." Mitsuki greeted Katsuki when he walked in, a cup of coffee in her hand. "You're up earlier than usual."

"Just woke up early I guess." Katsuki mumbled back, also going towards the coffee pot. He had trouble sleeping last night. His dreams just kept showing him flashes of the green haired boy as he is now and when they were kids.

It was fucking weird.

He took a sip of his coffee before setting the cup down and looking out the kitchen window, just staring off into the forest as he let his mind wonder. After a few seconds, he spoke, startling Mitsuki slightly. "Hey mom, can I ask you something?" He started. His voice wasn't necessarily softer than normal, but more so bland and cut off from his usual fiery emotions.

"Oh, um, of course, Katsuki." His mother said after recovering from her initial shock. There was definitely something off about her son, but she wasn't exactly sure what. Maybe it was just being back in their hometown. A lot had happened since they originally left.

"Do you remember any of the kids I used to hang out with?" He asked her, finally dragging his eyes away from the trees and over to his mother, whose worry was only growing.

Mitsuki took a second to think back a few years. "Well, I guess. You didn't have too many close friends and usually despised the thought of going to someone's house or having someone stay here. There were only a handful of kids that you ever let in." She answered him with a shrug, not sure why this topic was coming up now.

It had only been seven years ago, Katsuki should remember how closed off and distant he was back then. Mitsuki wasn't exactly sure why he needed her to remind him.

"I know that. I asked if you remembered any of the kids I did let in." Katsuki said, slightly annoyed with his mother. She hadn't directly answered his question and people tiptoeing around him like that had always pushed the wrong buttons.

Mitsuki raised her cup to her lips as she took a sip of her coffee and thought about her next answer. "Yes, Katsuki. I do remember most of the kids you let into our house, whether you were happy about it or otherwise. Is that what you wanted to hear? I'm your mother, of course I remember. Why do you want to know so badly?" She asked, her own red eyes staring down her son's.

"How well do you remember them?" Katsuki pressed. If he was going to go searching for some answers, then starting with his parents seemed like the best plan. They'd probably be able to tell him more than wandering around the town.

Mitsuki's eyes narrowed at her son's persistence. "What's this about, Katsuki?"

The younger Bakugou dragged his eyes away from his mother as he leaned back against the counter and stared down into his cup. "I've never remembered much about my childhood up until the move. I've never really questioned it and haven't been bothered, until now. Even being back here, I still can't remember names and faces. Why can't I remember anything?" He asked, his eyes filled with frustration as his voice became tight.

Mitsuki had figured this conversation would come up sooner or later. She was just hoping for later. "Katsuki, when we lived here, you were less than a happy kid. You were absolutely miserable. It's not a surprise that you've been blocking all of that out for so many years, plus you were so young. I wouldn't be surprised if you never fully remembered it." She said in a gentle tone, one that sounded foreign coming from her.