Chapter 4

"Come with me." Deku said, looking up at Katsuki with pleading eyes.

Katsuki just looked at him, slightly baffled by the instruction. "Deku, I can't just-"

"Kacchan, please. I can answer more questions!" Deku offered as a last ditch effort as Mitsuki kept knocking on the door.

"Hunny, I know you're upset with me, but I really think we should talk." She said softly.

Katsuki threw one last look over his shoulder at the door. He was about to sneak out of his house with the boy his parents seemed to hate. He was going to be in so much trouble when he got back. "Fine, let's go." He told the green haired teen, whose face lit up.

Deku lead the way across the roof and over to the ledge closest to the ground. That's were there were a few old crates stacked up, probably something Deku had done a while back, if the weeds and moss growing on them said anything.

"You're a crafty little fucker, you know that?" Katsuki said with an amused tone as they made it safely off the roof and took off running towards the woods.

Just as they made it to security of the tree line, Katsuki heard his mom shouting his name from his room. He doubted she had seen him going into the forest though.

"Deku! Where the hell are we going now?" Katsuki asked as the smaller boy hadn't stopped running, expertly dodging tree branches and jumping stones.

The shorter teen let out a small laugh that seemed oddly fitting to Katsuki. "You'll see!" He shouted back.

Soon Deku came to a stop in front of an old tree with a weathered looking tree house in it. Katsuki slowly approached it, Deku watching him carefully.

"Do you remember this place at all?" Deku asked, hope filling his voice.

Katsuki placed a hand on the trunk of the tree, looking up and walking around it, his hand dragging across the rough bark. "Not really. Just looks like a-" He stopped himself when he looked down at what his hand had touched.

There was a small engraving on the tree, close to the ladder to get up into the house. Weakly carved into the side of the tree was 'Kacchan' and 'Deku'. From the fact that 'Deku' was deeper cut, Katsuki figured they must have carved each other's names.

A flash of a memory hit Katsuki like a freight train, making him widen his eyes. They had to have done this only a few days before he moved away. Which brought on another thought.

He hadn't told Deku he was moving.

He had kept it a secret, not being able to actually tell his best friend goodbye. And then he just left.

Katsuki's wide, crimson eye traveled back over to a softly smiling Deku. "I-I just left." He whispered in shock.

Deku's eyes widened in complete shock. He was definitely not expecting that to be what he remembered when coming back here. "Kacchan, that's not-"

Before he could finish trying to tell Katsuki that it was okay and he had already forgiven him, he was engulfed in another hug. The blond clung to him just as tightly as he had earlier, burying his face in the crook of Deku's neck. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

Deku couldn't hold back his tears at the words as soft sobs fell from his lips. He just tightened his hold around the blonds neck, pouring his heart out on his shoulder.

"I missed you a lot." He childishly mumbled once the waterfall from his eyes lightened up.

Katsuki, not being able to say he missed him as well, seeing as he had forgotten about him, just held him tightly and quietly said, "I know."

After a few more moments, Deku pulled away and rubbed at his watery eyes with the sleeves of his sweatshirt. "I'm sorry, I'm still a bit of a cry baby." He said with a shaky laugh that Katsuki matched.

"It's okay." Katsuki said, ruffling Deku's green hair.

Deku looked up at Katsuki, smiling brightly through the remaining tears. "So I take it you remember carving our nicknames into the tree?" He asked, another chucking falling from his mouth.

The blond looked past the shorter boy at the tree in question. "Yeah, I also remember building that fucker. I can't believe it's still up there honestly." He admitted, thinking back to how the two of them had made it when there were eight or nine. They had a little help from Katsuki's dad, but a majority was just them.

"I know!" Deku exclaimed, moving away from Katsuki and going over to the ladder. "It's still super sturdy, I go up here all the time!" He said excitedly, climbing up. "C'mon!"

Katsuki rushed to the bottom of the tree, worried that the ladder would give on the shorter boy. "Deku, I really don't think that's a good-"

"Is Katsuki Bakugou scared?" Deku teased, sticking his head through the ladder whole, seeing as he had already made it up and into the tree house.

"I'm not scared of shit!" Katsuki shouted up to him, hesitantly placing his hands on the ladder and starting his ascent.

Deku shook his head as another smile slipped onto his features. "You really haven't changed that much, huh Kacchan?" He said to himself.

"What're you mumbling about now?" Katsuki asked when he finally made it up the ladder. The tree house definitely did not feel sturdy, but it would hold at least.

Deku shook his head, beaming at the blond. "Nothing important." He said.

Katsuki eyed him suspiciously, not sure if he bought it or not.

The greenette in front of him chuckled and shoved his shoulder. "Don't look at me like that, it was nothing, I'm always mumbling to myself." He assured.

"I remember." Katsuki said with a nod and a small smirk. He had actually remembered that before being told, he felt a little bit accomplished.

Deku couldn't seem to wipe the smile off his face with the blond. Just being around him was enough to remind the smaller teen that life wasn't all that bad. It gave him a little bit of hope.

"So, I was promised some more answers." Katsuki spoke up.

The green haired boy took in a sharp breath, shifting so he was sitting next to Katsuki instead of in front of him. Both boys had their knees up, elbows resting on top of them as they stared straight ahead.

"What'd you wanna know?" Deku asked.

Katsuki instantly noticed the shift in his mood. His voice was detached once again, like he was trying to distance himself from the situation.

"What do I not know?" Katsuki prodded. He had questions, of course, but he felt he'd understand more if Deku just told him everything he was missing.

There was a cold chuckle that startled Katsuki, but he chose to ignore it and just let the shorter boy answer.

"A lot, Kacchan." Deku answered him, letting his head hit the wall behind him.

Katsuki shrugged, not that Deku could see it, but he felt it next to him. "Let's start there then."