Chapter Five

This is a very short filler chapter. Sorry about that but the next chapter should definitely be longer!
Also, if you didn't hear, I started a discord server specially for my fics! Here's the link if you're interested (it doesn't expire!): https://discord.com/invite/7bE8znR you can also find it in my bio!

Damien was used to the chaotic days in the castle. He was used to Virgil's grumpiness at being forced to interact with him and the duke, he was used to Remus's yelling, he was used to the bustle of the castle. It was expected. It was routine. What was not expected, however, was Patton, one of Prince Romans play things, to slam a bag of coins on the table before him, barely avoiding Damien's bare plate (his food, along with his husband, had yet to arrive). The King bristled, sitting up and staring at the petite man in front of him, "How did you get past the guards?" Damien asked, not letting his uneasiness show.
Instead of responding verbally, Patton nudged the bag closer to Damien. When Damien hesitantly reached out and grabbed the bag, Patton finally spoke, "I want more time with Virgil. Tonight. That bag contains double the amount we gave you last night, so I want double the time with him." Usually, Damien would have killed anyone who was stupid enough to talk to him like that. However, despite the mask of indifference, Patton seemed desperate, and Damien was interested in seeing this play out.
"Very well," Damien said, smirking, "I will have the details delivered to you before tonight."
Patton's mood changed instantly as he smiled at the king, bowing, "Thank you, your Majesty!" He said as he made his way to the door.
"Patton." Damien said sternly. Patton turned slightly, facing the king. "Don't make sneaking around my guards a habit." Patton nodded, smiling once more, quickly exiting.

- - - -

Virgil stared at the wall as he attempted to muster the strength to move. He had 45 minutes before he was supposed to meet Damien outside the ballroom, and he would need most of that to get ready and then travel to the ballroom. Still, he was stuck between reminiscing over the soft touches and words Patton had offered him, and hating himself for letting his guard down. Regardless, he needed to get up. Before Virgil could even process the thought, he had pushed himself up. "Lovely" Virgil thought as he continued to stare at the wall, this time, sitting up.
Virgil walked to his "dressing room" (as Damien liked to call it) in a haze, barely registering that he had arrived before he was tugging on the dress he had managed to remember to bring. Virgil spent the last few minutes before he had to meet Damien staring at his reflection. Noting that he would have to leave now in order to not be late, Virgil spared one last look at his reflection before squaring his shoulders. "I have to do this." He thought, grabbing the door handle and tugging it open, "I HAVE TO DO THIS."

Sorry again for the length, but thanks for reading! See you soon!
-Apollo/AJ