Chapter 9: Mountain Glenn

"Professor Oobleck?" asked Weiss, "You're going to accompany us on our mission?" "Yes," said the Professor, "I will be accompanying you ladies and gentlemen on your mission. And it's Doctor. I didn't earn a PHD for fun you know." He then ran so fast to the airship and said, "Come on, we are exactly four minutes behind schedule." "And you're eight seconds behind me," said a voice to the Doctor. Oobleck looked to see Bendy on the other side of the airship and he asked, "How did you get here so quickly?" Bendy then zoomed up to his face and said, "You're not the only one who can go fast. Speed is my middle name."

After riding in the airship over Vale, the Teams arrived in an abandoned city that had buildings unfinished or crumbling. "Welcome to Mt. Glenn," said Dr. Oobleck, "It was meant to be an expansion of Vale before the Grimm came and invaded. They are dominant here, waiting for someone to come here to feed off their emotions." Suddenly, a pack of Beowolves appeared behind them. The teams got their weapons ready, but Oobleck stopped them and said, "That won't be necessary. We are here to observe them. We will only attack if they attack us, aaaaand now they've seen us." "What?" asked Weiss. "AND NOW THEY'VE SEEN US!!" Oobleck repeated yelling. So the teams ran forward and started fighting. Bendy jumped into a ball with Excalibur in his hands so he spun like a buzz saw and sliced the Grimm. Boris was shooting the Grimm to ash with a special arm cannon he made. Alice was doing a combination of stabbing and shooting with her swords. She would shoot fire, lightning, and ice arrows seeing as she had all the powers of the maidens. Alex was swinging Mjölnir II like there was no tomorrow. Weiss joined Alice in burning, electrocuting and freezing the Grimm while Yang was hitting and smashing with Alex. Blake was using the ribbon on her weapon to get a long distance with Boris. Bendy and Ruby were both slicing Grimm left and right. Bendy then got in front of Ruby's Crescent Rose and got into a ball and Ruby fired. Bendy then became a burning ball and sliced and burned through the Grimm. Professor Oobleck asked each of the teams why they wanted to become a Huntsman or Huntress. "Um, it's Doctor," said Oobleck. Okay, soon after they finished fighting the Grimm, Doctor Oobleck asked Bendy and Ruby to come with him while the rest got a camp ready.

Ruby and Bendy walked with the Prof... I mean Doctor Oobleck to a cliff and they saw huge elephant animals. "What are those?" asked Ruby. "Those my dear, are Grimm," answered Oobleck. "Should we kill them?" asked Bendy. "No," answered the Doctor, "I'm afraid that your weapons will do little to those Goliaths. You see, these Grimm are more powerful than the others you've faced, they've undoubtedly lived for hundreds of years." "But what if they attack us?" asked Ruby. "Yeah," said Bendy. "My dear and devil, not every Grimm is mindless. Or rather, not every Grimm is still mindless. Between the times they've attacked the borders, they've done one important thing: they've learned. They've learned that if they attack the borders, they're more likely to die. So they just leave the borders alone." "But then what are they doing here?" asked Ruby. "Waiting," said Oobleck. "Hey, Profe... I mean Doc," said Bendy, "I was wondering, why did you choose to become a Huntsman?" Oobleck then ran up to a building and said, "What do you see?" "Some old buildings?" said Ruby. "I see people that could have been saved," replied Oobleck, "I see a generation that could've done more. I look into science to learn from the past mistakes people made so that we can learn from them. We can't save every life, but we can sure try." The team leaders were amazed at the words of wisdom the Doctor said to them. Back at the camp, the others finished and had a fire going and food cooking.

That night, when everyone but Ruby, who was on watch, was asleep, Yang opened her eyes and whispered, "Blake, Alice, you two awake?" "Yeah," said Blake. "What's up?" asked Alice. "Why do you think Oobleck asked us why we wanted to become Huntresses and Huntsmen?" asked Yang. "Maybe he was just curious," said Blake. "Weiss, Alex, Bendy, Boris?" whispered Yang, "you guys awake?" "Of course we're awake," complained Weiss, "you guys are talking." Alex then snorted and said, "You guys say something?" "Well," said Weiss, "I think Oobleck asked because... Well, when I said that I wanted to uphold my family's name, I meant it. My father has done horrible and questionable things that hurt our name more than anything, and I refuse to let him be the end of it." "I just wanted to do right for a change," said Blake. "What do you mean Blake?" asked Boris, "You're not one to back down from a fight." "YES I AM!" countered Blake, "When I was scared, I ran. When I left the White Fang, I ran. When you guys found out I was a Faunus, I ran. Even my,... Semblance! I was born with the ability to leave an empty copy of myself to take the hit while I run!" "Blake," said Bendy, "Know that we will never think of you as a coward. I used to run from anything. But when no one else would stand up to a great threat, I faced the fears with Boris, who was my first friend, I was no longer afraid." "Well, at least you guys have something that drives you guys," said Yang, "I've always gone with the flow. I mean, I wanna become a Huntress, for the adventure, not knowing what tomorrow brings." She then turned to Ruby. "I'm not like Ruby. She's always wanted to become a hero. She wanted to be someone who would always help anyone in any way she could." "Hey guys," said Alice, "we got a long day ahead of us. Why don't we talk some more tomorrow?" They then fell back to sleep.

Later, Ruby was awakened by Zwei. She had sneaked the dog with her team before she left the dorm. Oobleck was very accepting of her bringing Zwei, saying that he would be a perfect companion and tracker, seeing as how dogs are man's best friend. Zwei headed down and started to pee. He then noticed White Fang goons after Ruby came down. The two got down and hid from view. The two followed them until they just disappeared behind a corner. Then the ground cracked and Ruby fell through. Zwei quickly ran back to the camp. Ruby fell to the ground and was confronted by two White Fang goons. Ruby reached for her scythe, but it was gone. The goons then took her to another part of the hideout. "Hey, bosses?" called one of the goons. "What?!" cried a familiar voice, "Perry, if you dragged us out here for nothing..." Just then, Roman Torchwick and Bootleg Bart came out and saw Ruby.

Back at camp, Yang called Ruby, but she wasn't there. Zwei came and had the whole team follow him to the hole, where Bendy picked up Ruby's scythe. "Oh course," said Oobleck. "What is it Doc?" asked Boris. "Mountain Glenn was well known for it's subway network. When the Grimm invaded, the civilians were evacuated through the train network." "So we're looking for an underground crime network?" asked Weiss. "Not just AN underground network," replied the Doc., "We're looking for THE underground network." So, they all jumped down and searched for Ruby.