Ajnabee

The morning had risen and that meant all shutters open.

Ishita Iyer came out of the shower and wrapped her towel around her hair and went to open the door to find her newspaper in front of her door. Across the hall, she saw a man, about her age, also outside to pick up his newspaper.

She didn't know know much about her neighbors except that they were a very large, loud Punjabi family. Amma (her mother) and the Aunty in the Pubjabi house were always fighting.

She picked up her newspaper to see there had been a small confusion. Instead of her regular Tamil Express newspaper, she had gotten the Business Daily newspaper.

"Excuse me. I think there has been a mistake." she said. "Mere ghar mein Tamil Express ke badle mein Business Daily ka newspaper rakha gaya tha."

The man across the hallway replied angrily. "Yeah, give me that." he hurried over to Ishita and snatched the Business Daily newspaper and threw the Tamil Express newspaper which he had mistakenly recieved at his doorstep.

What kind of person is this? Na hi, na hello, na thank you? Yeh kaisa aadmi hai? Ishita thought. "Excuse me, please and thank you ka rivaz hai is shaher mein."

"THANK YOU." he said angrily and slammed his door shut.

"Subah subah ka mood kharab kar diya is aadmi ne..." Ishita turned around and headed back inside her house.

The next morning, both Ishita and the man made sure no one was outside when they went to pick up their newspapers. On her way to her car, Ishita found this little girl who was playing with a dog.

Ishita asked the girl's name. "RUUUHIIII. Dekho, mujhe yeh doggy mila tha. Yaha raste mein walk kar raha tha" the girl screamed. Awwww Ishita thought. Such a cute kid.

"Acha Ruhi, ab hum is doggy ka kya karenge?" Ishita asked. "Pehele toh hum iska kuch naam rakhte hai... jaise Muttuswami??"

"YAAAYYYYY!" Ruhi screamed. "Hi Muttuswami, aap kaise ho? Me ab tumhari mumma hoon." She started talking to the dog.

"Ruhi, abh yeh doggy Muttuswami ho gaya lekin iska house kaha hoga?" Ishita questioned. "Agar tum nahi rakhna chahti tumhare ghar mein toh mein rakh sakti hoon. Aur phir tum mere ghar aajana, mein tumhe Muttu se milwaungi. Theek hai?"

"Okay! Lekin mujhe nahi pata aap kaha rehte ho. Also, aapka naam kya hai?" Ruhi asked innocently.

Ishita calmly replied "Mein yahi hi rehti hoon. Iss flat mein..." She pointed towards her house. "Mera naam Ishita hai. Hum dono aaj raat milenge, aur Muttu ko exchange kardenge. Theek hai?"

"YAY! I'm so happy! Okay, bye Ishita Aunty. Aap mere naye friend ho. Mein aapko milunge aaj baad mein!" Ruhi screamed!

"Okay! Bye Ruhi!!" Ishita said as she was running late for work. She ran to her car and quickly took it out of the parking space. The whole way to her clinic, she was thinking about that cute child Ruhi. She wondered who her parents were but shrugged it off when she reached her job. She was soon overcome with dentistry thoughts and Ruhi became the least of her worries.

That's it for today. I'll be back tomorrow to update the story!