Chapter 12 - Part Two

I'm just standing there, not really knowing what to do. He takes another deep breath and walks towards me.

"Hey, this party just got dull. Do you wanna get out of here?" He seems nervous.

"Why? Did something happen?"

"No, just... let's get out of here. The people in this party are all poisonous. I just came because I had to make an appearance. And I just did. Now, come on. Let me get you back to your hotel."

I wanted to keep asking him what was going on, what the hell was that and who was that girl. But I see how nervous he is and decide to leave things alone, maybe talk about it some other time. "Ok. Let's go."

Ian remained silent the entire ride back to my hotel. I wanted to say something, talk to him, try to understand what was going on. But he seemed so lost in his thoughts that I was too scared to break him out of it. As soon as we arrived at my hotel and I was ready to say goodbye and leave the car, he decides to finally speak.

"Hey, don't go just yet. Do you wanna take a walk on the beach?" He seems calmer now.

I bite my lip. "Sure, I guess this sounds good."

Since my hotel is right in front of the beach, we don't have to walk long to reach it. I take off my heels to walk more comfortably in the sand. The wind is strong and is blowing my hair all around, probably finishing destroying my waves by now.

We just walk on the beach without saying anything to each other. Ian is walking with his hands in his pockets and I feel like he is struggling to find the right things to say. I give him his time, until he takes a deep breath and starts to talk.

"Look, I'm sorry for tonight. I shouldn't have stormed us out of the party like that."

"It's okay. I'm sure you had your reasons."

He bites his lips. "I know what you must be thinking. I know you saw me talking to that girl. You weren't supposed to see that."

I feel like he wants me to say something, but I just let him do the talking.

"Her name is Veronica and she's... someone from my past."

"Let me guess... you used to date."

"Yes... but that was a long time ago."

"Then what were you arguing about?" I finally ask.

"Veronica is... a complicated person. I think she still has feelings for me." He bites his lips again.

"And do you still have feelings for her?" He stops walking immediately and pulls myself by the arm to look at him.

"No!" He answers confidently. "I have no feelings for her and I haven't fell for a long time."

I turn my gaze down, not sure of what to think about all of this, and he pulls my chin up again, making me look at him. "I have feelings for someone else now."

I flush and now I'm the one who's biting my lip. His words make my heart almost stop for a minute. Is it really possible? Ian Thorne has feelings for me?

I can't reply to what he said because I really don't know how to.

He removes his hand from my chin and begins running it down my neck, placing it on my chest. He grabs my necklace and stares at the golden cross around it.

"Are you religious?" He seems puzzled.

I give a little small laugh at the thought. "No, it was a gift from my mother. She's the religious one."