Chapter 20

Ian could barely talk for these past couple of hours. He seemed so apprehensive, he kept looking at his watch in every 10 minutes. And the worst part of it... was that there was nothing I could do for him... to calm him down. It was almost lunch time, but neither of us were even thinking about food.

Ian was walking around the living room, uneased, and I saw how anxious he was, when we finally heard someone ringing the doorbell. He stopped walking instantly and looked at me, like he was getting ready for what was coming next.

I nodded at him and went to hide in the kitchen in a place where I knew no one would be able to see me, but I would be able to hear and see everything.

Ian took a deep breath and went over to the hall to answer the door.

"Hello, darling." Veronica says with a voice that makes me want to throw up.

"Hi... come on in." Ian opens the door wider to let her come inside. As she's at the hall, he asks. "So... did you bring it?"

She stops and turns around to look at him, who's closing the door behind her. "Of course I did." She smiles.

"Well, where is it?" Ian asks, in a rush.

"Oh, already? I thought you might want to talk about it first." She gets closer to him.

"Talk about what?" He asks.

"About how she dumped you. Come on, I want to know everything." She begins heading towards the living room again, but Ian stops her, grabbing her by the arm, so they remain in the hall.

"There's nothing to talk about." His voice is harsh.

She turns to face him again. "Oh, come on. You know you can tell me." She gets closer to him again and touches his face, removing his hair from his forehead. "You can tell me everything."

Ian begins to lock his jaw and I can see how mad he is. He takes a deep breath and begins to speak. "Alright... I told her about Emma, about everything. And she told me she couldn't be with me anymore. She couldn't be with someone who could do... what I did." He turns his gaze down, trying to avoid her look.

So she passes her hand on his face again, caressing it. "Oh, honey. I told you. No one understands what you've been through. No one is willing to stay once they find out who you are... and what you did." She pauses. "No one but me." She places a little kiss on his lips and I have to control myself not to get out of hiding and punch her in the face.

Ian closes his eyes and I can see his breathing is heavy. He's trying to control himself too not to snap. "Yes, you're right. You're the only one who stays." He says. "Now, please... Just give it to me. I can't handle this anymore, I need to forget everything."

She stares at him. "She really made an impression on you, didn't she? You actually like her?"

"Yes!" He snaps, raising his voice a little and then tries to calm down. "Yes, she did. I liked her. But clearly, she didn't like me back. Not like you do..." He puts his hands on her waist and pulls her body closer to his. I close my eyes because I don't think I can handle this. The sight of them... together... and of whatever was coming next. But he continues. "You're the only one who likes me for me... in spite of everything. You're the only who never leaves. The only one I can count on. And that's why I called you today. I wanted you with me. That's why I asked you to bring it. Because I want to use it with you. I want to forget about her... with you."

I open my eyes in time to see Ian deliberately kissing Veronica slowly, while turning her around so she has her back to the door. It makes my stomach turn everywhere around to see it and I force myself to control my breathing.