I. The Town of Secrets

The sound of the keys unlocking the metal holding cell caused me to look up from my comfortable position of sitting with my elbows on my knees and my face in my hands. My mother and the same police officer that brought me into this shitty waiting cell walked in.

"Follow me." The short, bitchy, red-haired police officer commanded. She looks like she would rather be anywhere but here. I don't blame her. She's dealing with underage teenagers breaking the law. I followed both her and my mother down the long hallway while the bright, white fluorescent lights beamed down on me. Click. Click. Click. My black boot heels clicked on the white tiled floor that brought us back to the entrance of the police station.

I took a seat next to my mother in the waiting room while Officer Bitchy got the paperwork my mother needs to fill out before we can leave.

"This was your final straw, Brooklyn." My mother began her rant once again. Same thing each and every time. 'You messed up.' 'You need to be a better person.' 'You're ruining my reputation.' Quite frankly, I don't really give a shit. "In the past three months, you've robbed a convenience store, got caught underage drinking at a party, and now you're in trouble with the law again. Seriously? Drinking and driving? Driving over 90 on a 65? What has gotten into you? You could have killed people tonight. You're lucky you're getting out of here. If we didn't have the money or the connections, you'd be in juvie for a very long time, Brooklyn."

Oh, yes. My mother, Mary, is a big deal in the city of San Francisco. Some hot shot lawyer with tons of money and can get just about anyone out of jail. One good thing I have to say is that she is very independent. My mother left my father when I was just born. Apparently, it wasn't "safe" to be around him. I don't know what that means, but it's not like my dad is a deadbeat. He sends child support checks, birthday gifts, Christmas presents, and there is always a weekly phone call with him. I love the man, I don't know why he isn't "safe."

"Okay? But, I didn't kill anyone. I was just having fun! I was living, something you obviously don't do." I retorted. I know. I'm a bitch to my mom. To be honest, I think there is reason. She was never around while I was growing up. Focusing more on her job than me. She was always at the office and never really at home. Ever. "I'm so tired of this shitty city and preppy school kids. Everyone flaunts their money and they go golfing. GOLFING. I would rather be anywhere but here. I want to actually live my life and have fun. Take risks. You know the deal? I know I sound bratty, but I hate it here. I cannot wait to move to a fun place where I can actually live."

"You want to live on the dangerous side? You want to live life on the edge? Then you can move in with your father in Hooverville. It's a rural area and it's a terrifying place. I lived there for three years with your father, and leaving was the best decision I've ever made. It's a town of secrets. It's dangerous and it's scary. You want to have fun? You'll spend your senior year in Hooverville with your father. See how much fun danger can actually be."

"Okay, I will. I can't wait."

*****

The day before my senior year, I got off of my flight at the nearest airport to Hooverville. This damn airport is an hour and a half away from the actual town. My father picked me up in his black range rover. Conversation on the way to his house was a little bit awkward, but we were in dire need of catching up.

"How've you been, Brooke? Our weekly phone calls are the highlights of my weeks."

"Dad, I've been good. I'm actually very excited to be staying here. Mom promised danger, so I'm expecting danger." I laughed.

"Oh, you won't be getting into danger here. Not under my watch. Or Tyson's."

"Tyson?"

"Oh honey, Tyson is your brother. Well, half-brother. He's 21 and living at home with me. So it'll just be us three. He helps out with the... family business."