Chapter 30: Urgency

AHSOKA TANO

Ahsoka and Lux gradually made their way towards the temple, making sure to stay out of sight. They had landed in a maintenance area filled with pipes and machinery, and nobody was working there, since they had evacuated due to the fire caused by their crashed shuttle. Besides, it was nighttime.

The temple was not too far off. A speeder would be necessary to reach it, but they could probably find some unattended.

Ahsoka looked behind her as a column of smoke rose from the wreckage of their shuttle.

Lux looked a little upset.

"What's wrong?" asked Ahsoka.

Lux sighed.

"Everyone probably thinks I'm dead" Lux said.

"It's no problem," Ahsoka said, "you can just appear in public and say you aren't."

"Well, they'll ask for explanations, and-"

"Remind me why you're here right now?" Ahsoka remarked.

Lux rolled his eyes.

"Hey," Ahsoka continued, "we're doing the right thing. We're going to save the Jedi Order."

"But... Ahsoka?" Lux asked.

"What?" replied Ahsoka.

"What will happen if they find out?" Lux continued.

"About what?"

"About us?"

Ahsoka hadn't thought about that, and she paused for a moment.

"Maybe..." said Ahsoka, "maybe I can convince them it was the right thing to do."

Lux didn't sound too reassured by that, so Ahsoka put her hand on his shoulder.

"Look," Ahsoka continued, "we'll worry about that later, but there are more pressing matters at hand right now. We have to get moving."

The two walked for a little bit before Lux spoke up.

"Hey," he said, "I think I see something over there."

He pointed at a speeder that could fit two people.

"Perfect!" Ahsoka shouted, running over quickly to the speeder and hopping in the driver's seat.

"Come on," she said, motioning Lux to get in as well. Ahsoka managed to start up the speeder, and then quickly started heading for the temple.

They tried to avoid any public areas where they would get spotted, and the flaming wreckage of the shuttle receded behind them as the towering Jedi Temple began to loom over them. Eventually, Ahsoka took a turn down and towards the opening to a sewer pipe large enough to fit the speeder.

"Do you really want us to go in there?" Lux asked.

"It's either this or doing what Bane did when he broke in," explained Ahsoka, "and that method is likely redundant by now. They probably have the area far more secure."

"Well," Lux said, "This better be worth it!"

Then, just before they entered the pipe, Ahsoka was hit with a splitting headache, and stopped the speeder.

"What are you doing?" Lux asked.

But Ahsoka couldn't hear him. The headache got even worse, and she could swear she heard voices. She could hear the voices of her former master, Anakin Skywalker, and Jedi Master Mace Windu. Among that, she could hear wind rustling and electricity crackling.

"Ahsoka!" Lux yelled. She snapped out of it.

"It's Anakin," Ahsoka replied, "Something terrible has happened."

"What," Lux asked, "what is it?"

"I don't know, but..."

She felt the Force signature of Mace Windu suddenly disappear entirely.

"Windu's dead," she said quickly, "we have to move. NOW."