sixty-one

(3 years later)
(July)

When you live with two 8 year old twins, an eleven year old son and 16 year old daughter, life gets quite hectic.

With the twins going into the third grade and Hunter going into sixth grade was pressure enough. But Ally had struggled to settle into her sophomore class, it was now the summer holidays and when she goes back she will be a Junior and I wasn't sure how she would take it.

Summer had just started and while Jughead worked Hunter and the twins were out in the garden, I had left them on the climbing frame in the back so I could sort out there lunch. Ally was sitting on the sofa with her phone in her hands and I said 'hey Al, why don't you join us outside for a bit?' She looked up and said 'I'm okay, maybe later' I nodded sadly and I said 'is everything okay sweetheart?' She nodded and then headed upstairs where I heard the door close in the distance.

Once lunch had been prepared, I plated up some food for Ally and put it to the side before carrying the rest of it out to the twins and Hunter. While they were seated at the outdoor area I headed upstairs to Ally's room. I knocked loudly on the door and when she opened it I said 'lunch is downstairs, you going to join us?' She shrugged and said 'can I just eat up here?' I frowned slightly but nodded, 'if you want to, you can come and get it' she followed me back downstairs to grab her plate and when I headed back outside she disappeared back to her bedroom.

'Mummy, when will daddy be home?' Taylor said while climbing into my lap. I shrugged and said 'I'm not sure sweetheart, he'll be home soon though' she nodded and then I watched as Noah and Hunter started to throw mud at each other. I sighed and said 'hop off' to Taylor who climbed off of my lap and I said loudly so both boys could hear me 'no more throwing mud you two, otherwise we won't watch our movie tonight. Now inside, I would like all of those clothes in the washing basket before dinner, no exceptions' both boys snickered slightly and then when I raised my eyebrow Hunter said 'sorry mum' I looked down at Noah and he said 'sorry mummy' I nodded and then said calmly 'off you go, dad should be home by the time you've cleaned up' they both smiled and ran towards the house while Taylor took a hold of my hand and walked with me back into the kitchen.

Half an hour later Jughead got home, I was putting on a load of washing and then I heard Taylor say 'daddy's back' I smiled and then headed into the lounge where the kids were. Jughead was hugging Taylor and then Noah jumped towards him as well, I went to walk back in the kitchen when I heard him say 'not so fast Mrs Jones' I turned back to him with a smile on my face and he said 'okay, you monkeys. Half an hour of telly and then bath time while we get dinner sorted. Get' he walked to me and said 'hi betts' I smiled and pecked his lips gently before saying 'hi, how was work?' He shrugged and said 'it was alright. How was your day, kids okay?' I nodded and said 'we've been fine. I think somethings bothering Ally though, I've barely seen her all day' I watched as Jughead reached for a coffee mug and he said 'do you want me to talk to her?' I shrugged and said 'you can try, don't know how successful you will be' he nodded and said 'I'll give it a go' I nod and then he pulled me in for a hug which I happily sunk into for a few minutes.

While Jugheads got Taylor into the bath, I checked on Noah and Hunter who were playing with the Lego in his room. I headed down the hallway towards Ally's room and I knocked, hoping for a reply. She opened the door and said 'hi' I smiled and said 'dads home, you haven't come and said hello?' She shrugged and said 'didn't realise he was home' I smiled weakly and said 'is something bothering you Ally? We've barely seen you all day?' She shrugged and said 'I'm fine, I'll come say hi in a bit' I nodded and then watched as she closed the door once again.

I headed back to the bathroom and I said to Jughead, who was making sure Taylor had washed her hair, 'can you go and see Ally please?' He nodded and said 'still nothing' I sighed and 'nope she just said she would say hi later and then closed the door, jug she's keeping something from us. She'll talk to you, she won't speak to me' he stood up and put his hand on my shoulder 'betts, calm down. I'll go have a word so stop stressing. You got Taylor?' I nodded and watched as he headed down the hall to Ally's room.