Chapter 2

The late evening sky was threatening to go completely dark outside. Your room wasn't much different. You sat by your desk in a dark room with just the computer screen to light up whatever it seemed to spill on to. You could feel your eyes watering from the growing number of yawns you were doing, but you didn't want to stop just yet; there was just one more application you had to write before you settled in for the night.

Now that you and your friends had been living in your new home for a few days - with everything unpacked and everyone settled in - you thought it would be a good time to do the adult thing and apply for jobs while you waited for any commissions to come in. 

Though your fingers were typing, your mind seemed to be thinking about other things. It had only been a few days since that strange incident at the restaurant, and nothing else had come of it since then. It almost felt like it never happened, or it happened in a dream. It had only been brought up a couple of times since then, but what bothered you is that Ash and Lee remembered it much differently than you. Up to the point where you finished your meal was all clear, but it was after that where your memory and their accounts of the situation differ.

Your friends were very sure that, after the group of customers came in, you ran to the restroom before asking to leave. However, when you recall back to when the customers came in, you can only remember there being one man. You can't remember his face, no matter how many times you tried to remember, it just wouldn't come to you. And, what makes everything even more confusing, you remember this unknown man coming to greet you happily. Your friends seemed almost concerned when you first told them this and asked you what he said. Though, that's where your memory begins to fail you again.

You read through and triple checked over your application after clicking the "submit" button. The relief of knowing you could finally get some sleep made you realise how sleepy you really were. However, before shutting off your computer you clicked on the other open tab. After clicking the refresh button you sighed. No new commissions. You knew there wouldn't be any new ones any time soon, but there was nothing wrong with having a little hope, right?

After changing into your pajamas and wrapping yourself up in the multiple blankets laying on your bed - despite the warm summer nights - you could feel yourself falling into the world of sleep. Your toes and fingertips felt light and your mind went blank.

That night you had a dream. It wasn't unusual for you to have dreams, of course, but this one was going to be the start of something much bigger that was soon to come.

It might have just been because it was on your mind before you went to bed, but you had a dream about the restaurant. You hadn't dreamed about it before but it didn't come as a surprise since it was so recent. The dream ran through your recollection of that scenario; you and your friends were sat together, eating your meal like it was an average day. However, your vision began to flicker between this recollection and another scenario. 

You were sat in the restaurant, but your friends weren't there. You were alone on a two person table. It was hard to make out immediately, but you seemed to be in a pretty dress, one that you were sure you had never owned or would even consider wearing unless you were going to meet up with someone you wanted to impress.

Your perspective then changed back to where you were sitting with your friends. Both of them looking almost over their shoulders to the front of the restaurant. You could recall this as the moment when the group of customers were coming in. The strange feeling you felt back then came back, though it seemed much more familiar now and you could tell that it was not a dangerous feeling. Instead it was a feeling of excitement and anticipation.

The moment where the customers were about to round the corner was cut off by the switch in perspectives once again, back to the two person table. Just a few moments later, someone rounded the corner that your eyes were fixed on. It was a male figure, though you were not able to determine his expression or features, except for an excited and gentle smile. He extended a hand to shake yours and took a seat on the one opposite you. The two of you seemed to be talking, though you could not hear words, only muffled sounds.