Chapter 25

Lauren stared disdainfully at her public appearance schedule for the upcoming month.

"This is going to be hell," she commented, and placed the piece of paper down on the table. Her green eyes darted to the colorful fish swimming around the tank.

The Oceana was her favorite place to eat. Not only did it serve the best seafood in town, but it provided a nice private atmosphere where Lauren could enjoy her meal without having to worry about the other patrons staring at her.

Instead of tables or booths, the Oceana provided small, individual "caves" tucked away into the lime rock wall partitions.

There was even a small curtain to ensure further privacy. On the wall was a double-glass window with a small, private view of an aquarium tank. Colorful fish of all shapes and sizes swam around, passing by everyone's windows in their circular journey.

"I see that Operation: Embrace Your Fans has gotten nowhere," Adrian teased, grabbing the schedule. "Let's see here. Official Guardian convention. MTV Movie Awards." He paused. "Radio City Music Hall? New York. Well, I bet you're happy."

"Overjoyed," Lauren replied dryly.

Adrian stared at her for a moment, then back down at the schedule. "So what's the scoop? Are you presenting? Hosting? Receiving."

Lauren rolled her eyes. "Best Kiss."

"Nasty," Adrian replied, shaking his head in disapproval. "Which kiss is this? Wait. Let me guess, the all-tongue spit fest with Zayn Malik ?"

"Unfortunately," Lauren confirmed with a slight nod. "I think his tongue grazed my lung."

Adrian frowned. "Thank you for the imagery, Lauren . Remind me to keep you around whenever I need to go on a diet."

He looked pointedly at his food.

"Hey, I'm the one that had to live through it," Lauren argued with a shudder. She covered her face with one hand. "Oh God, they'll probably want me to kiss him at the podium. Maybe I shouldn't go. I can give them one of those 'I'm off filming my next movie in Saskatchewan so I couldn't be there' excuses."

Adrian nodded. "Smooth."

"At least people think I'm a good kisser," Lauren said cheerfully, trying to find the silver lining.

Maybe even Camila will be impressed.

Yeah, cause that's exactly what you need to do to impress the girl. Win an MTV Movie Award for kissing someone.

"What's wrong?" Adrian asked. "All of a sudden you went from 'woo hoo!' to 'boo hoo.'"

"She hates me," Lauren confessed.

"Is this like an impromptu 'Guess Who' game?"

"Camila ," Lauren clarified. "I asked her what she thought of Lauren Jauregui and she said, 'She seems stuck up and bitchy.'"

Adrian whistled. "Harsh. True, but harsh." He shrugged. "But that's what you were going for, right? And I must say, you play the part so well."

"Thank you," Lauren replied flatly, her appetite quickly diminishing. She pushed around the shrimp on her plate. "I don't want her to think I'm stuck up and bitchy," she admitted softly.

"And what do you want her to think?" Adriana asked.

Lauren sat back, against the colorful cushions behind her. "I don't want her to think anything. I want her to know." Her gaze landed on the fish tank. "It's frustrating to be so totally honest with a person and still feel like I'm lying. I mean, there's no way I can be 100% sincere."