twenty&two - irritated

"goodnight, eddie-bear," my my whispered from my door. she often liked to come in and say goodnight, especially when she questions when i've taken my pills. i've never failed to take a pill, however. i had always hated having to respond; turning over and sleeping was the only thing on my agenda, but my mom always seemed to have another thing on the list for me. so, instead of getting to pretend to go to sleep, i had to mutter out two words before.

"goodnight, mommy," i whispered. i've hated the word 'mommy' for the longest time, but my mom will have a breakdown if she doesn't hear that after a while.

when i heard the door click closed and all the light from the hall disappeared, i sat straight up. my fingers quickly unbuttoned the pajama shirt i was wearing and set it aside in the closet. i instead put richie's jacket over my sweater, leaving it open. the final layer was my normal winter coat.

i grabbed my flashlight and flickered it three times out the window. "i don't need these theatrics, batman." richie whispered. i put the light on his face to see that he had an amused smile across his face. he quickly pulled his beanie over his glasses to shield his eyes.

"oh you love it," i teased, "i know you do."

amused

"and what are you gonna do about it, kaspbrak?" he retaliated. i climbed out from my window to the edge of the roof. for a moment, i let my feet dangle off, looking down at richie.

"i'm gonna sneak away with you to hang out with my friends for new years," i landed onto the ground with both feet. when i finally stood up straight, i wrapped my arms around his shoulders from behind, "that's what i'm gonna do, tozier."

richie hummed happily in response, walking along with my attached to him like a sloth. after a moment of walking slowly in the dimly lit street, he spoke. "at this rate, we're going to arrive at my house at twelve o' one!"

"you're lucky you're too warm for me to let go and smack you," i whispered, not letting go. richie just chuckled and continued down the yellow brick road that what neither yellow nor brick. richie picked up his pace the more we moved along, so my feet started to drag along the ground. "my shoes are gonna be ruined!" i complained.

"don't be such a baby!" richie retaliated with a laugh. i felt his hands reach up and hold onto mine that were on his chest. "i'm sure your fucking shoes will be fine, eds."

"call me 'eds' again and i snap your arm," i mumbled into his ear, making him chuckle. richie's pace started to slow down, allowing me to waddle more easily.

"there's the eds i know," richie said, "someone's been a little romantic with his words lately."

"oh, and you haven't?" i shot back, moving away from his back and grabbing his arm closely instead. the dim lights hit richie's face softly. he made a small, goofy face towards me before facing the street again. lights were still on from many houses, and some even had music blaring loud enough, we could even hear it.

"video killed the radio star," richie sang along to the music. he began to him mindlessly, his pace regulating to the beat. these little things put a small smile on my face. once the music stopped, he spoke up again. "you think they know?" he whispered. if the question had been asked eight days before, i would have said 'know what, tozier?', but in that moment i knew what he was talking about.

"i'm pretty sure most of them do," i confirmed, "maybe not ben, but the rest probably saw it coming."

"probably because of that poem that you never let go of," richie laughed quietly, "but i guess it's pinned onto my wall now."