Chapter 1

^outfit, hair, and makeup

Brianna was on her phone texting her best friend, Kia, while her little brother Dillon talked about people who do and don't read "Saga". Brianna has no interest in that conversation.

"Well, look who decided to get up," her mom, Grace, said to her older brother Spencer. "I'm definitely up now. No hot water again?" Spencer asked. "Just behind on the gas bill, that's all. It's fine," Grace told him. Brianna frowned feeling sorry for her mother. She tried as hard as she could to provide for her kids, but sometimes it was too much. "I get paid this week. Besides, a cold..." "A cold shower now and then is good for the soul," all three kids finished the sentence for her. "Heh. Smart asses."

"Beverly Hills, though?" Coop asked shocked that Spencer might be living the rich kid life soon. "Crazy, huh?" "Yeah, man. You told your mom?" Brianna scoffed at that idea knowing Spencer was too scared to. "Nah. You know how she gets," Spencer said. "He's just too scared to tell my mom, because then it'll become more real, and he'll have to actually make the decision of leaving or staying," Brianna called out Spencer.

Spencer glared at her. "What? I'm just sharing my wisdom." "You're 15. You don't have no wisdom to share," Spencer said. Coop let out a laugh. "I'm telling you, that woman don't play, man. If Grace finds out you got a shot like this, you'd be eating mayonnaise sandwiches by the end of the night," Coop said. "Man, what is it with white people and mayonnaise?" Brianna asked. "I don't know."

"Damn, Shassy, that booty looking juicy," some girls said to Coop. They turned their heads and waved at Brianna, "Hey, Bri." "Heyy."

Spencer looked at the two girls. "What?" The ya aid simultaneously. "Those girls roll with Shawn," he said not wanting his best friend and sister to get involved with someone in a gang. Little did he know.

"You really want to play like that? Listen, that weak-ass, wannabe gangbanger can't touch me. Plus, I got you for back-up anyway," Coop said while Brianna stayed silent. "Don't touch me like that," Spencer said. "Why? What you gonna do? What? What?" Coop teased and made Brianna laugh.

******

Brianna heard and saw her brother and Shawn in an altercation from down the hallway. She quickly made her way up to them. "You beat up on females now, Shawn?" Spencer asked defensive. "Female, my ass. She-man, more like it," Shawn replied. "Come on, Spence," Brianna guided him away not before sending Shawn a little frown making his tough exterior subside. Spencer noticed but didn't think much of it.