• Chapter Seventeen •

Avengers Compound, 2023

The team reappeared on the Quantum platform, each hero looking around them to see each recovered stone.

"Did we get them all?" Bruce questioned.

Rhodey retracted his helmet with a grin as he held up his stone with a nod. "Are you telling me this actually worked?" He questioned.

Silence fell over the room before they realised that someone was missing.

They turned to Clint who wore a blank expression on his face.

"Clint, where's Nat?" Azar asked but the archer remained silent and shifted his gaze to the floor.

His silence was all they needed to know. The mission was completed but it came with a price..

The team stood by the lake as they mourned their fallen teammate

The team stood by the lake as they mourned their fallen teammate. "Do we know if she had family?" Tony asked quietly, breaking the heavy silence.

"Yeah." Steve replied. "Us."

Thor stepped closer and arched an eyebrow at the two men. "What?" He questioned.

"I just asked him a question--"

"Yeah, you're acting like she's dead." The God of Thunder said as he cut Tony off in mid-sentence. "Why are we acting like she's dead?"

"Thor.." Azar warned softly.

"We have the stones, right?" The god continued. "As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit!" He said with a growl. "We're the Avengers, get it together!"

"We can't get her back." The team turned their gazes to Clint whose back was facing them.

"Wha.. What?" Thor asked.

"It can't be undone." The archer responded before he looked at his colleagues. "It can't.."

Thor laughed humourlessly. "I'm sorry. No offense, but you are a very earthly being. Okay?" He said. "We're talking about space magic and 'can't' seems very definitive, dont you think?"

"Thor, that's enough." Azar stepped forward.

"Yeah, look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint responded, the two men completely ignoring the brunette.

"No that's not my point--"

"It can't be undone." The archer repeated, cutting Thor off. "Or that's at least what the red floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him, okay? GO GRAB YOUR HAMMER, AND YOU GO FLY AND YOU TALK TO HIM!" He yelled.

To say that the atmosphere was tense would be the biggest understatment. Azar quickly wiped a tear that slid down her cheek.

"It was supposed to be me.." Clint continued, his anger now replaced with grief. "She sacrificed her life for that goddamn stone. She bet her life on it.."

All of a sudden, in a burst of anger, Bruce grabbed a bench and flung it clear across the lake.

With his anger now spent, he turned to the team with a lost expression. "She's not coming back." He said with a broken voice. "We have to make it worth it. We have to."

"And we will." Azar said determindley, her eyes still flooded with tears.

The brunette stood alongside Rocket and Bruce, the three of them watching Tony as he carefully placed the stones in a gauntlet that he made

The brunette could tell that her best friend was extremely nervous as he manipulated the machine.

After successfully placing all six Infinity Stones into the gaunlet, the playboy released a heavy sigh of relief.

"Boom!" Rocket yelled, causing the brunette, playboy genius and the scientist to jump and groan at the raccoon's joke.

"I'm going to kill you." Azar muttered.