Something Right

I had been apart from Newt for just about a week now. I decided he needed time to be alone, even if it hurt me to admit it, I could see that being around me was an exhausting act. The days without him had been anything but agonizing actually. I slept better knowing that I was doing what was right for him. I even managed to help Chuck with his tree house finally. He was happy about that.

Me and Teresa have been enjoying our daily conversations around the fire pit. Our talks will consist of everything from the origin of the universe, to why red tomatoes taste better than green ones.

I've gotten back to running again, my drive to escape this maze even stronger than before due to Newt. Each day as I enter the Maze, I know I'm doing this, running, for him. So that he can live the sweet life he was not only promised at birth, but deserves.

This particular morning I decide to pay him a visit. I had grown accustomed to sleeping in his room, effectively bugging Chuck, who was used to sleeping near me. Newt's room was always in a state of rumpled sheets and scattered books, but it looked even worse now that i had been living here.

I quickly got dressed, splashed my face with a bit of water, and raced down the rickety Homestead stairs. Then I remembered to grab Alice's Tale, so I ran back up to grab it. Fry let's me snag a plate of food for Newt, and soon I'm at the door of the medjack shack.

I stand for a moment, the breeze ruffling my hair. I take a deep breath upon entering the shack. Newt's head immediately turns to look up at me.

"Left me in isolation long enough didn't you?" He remarks with a smile.

I just laugh in return, and offer him the plate of food.

"Who's been feeding you anyways?" I ask.

"Fry mostly, occasionally Minho." He says through a mouthful of potatoes.

"How's my garden?" He inquires.

"It's doing pretty good actually, Chuck has taken a liking to gardening, and he keeps the place in shape."

"Has the Glade not spiraled into chaos without me as second in command?" He asks jokingly.

"Somehow, no." I say with a giggle.

"Are you feeling okay? Not, just your ankle I mean." I clarify.

"Better." He states

"It seems foolish now, almost selfish of me. Like I couldn't even handle life. I was too immature to be tough." He says.

"Everyone feels like that sometimes. But you're still here, and being tough. And hopefully you can learn from that experience." I offer.

"You sound smart." Is all he says.

"Maybe I am." I escalate.

"I wouldn't go that far." He teases.

"Yeah whatever."

He resumes eating, and I linger on the shack's soil floor.

"Oh! I finally got working on that stupid tree house. You know, the one that I put off for ages." I announce proudly.

"You mean the one where I kissed you." He corrects me.

"Sure, that one." I groan sarcastically at him.

"Weeks?" I question eagerly.

"Days." He answers with a grin.

I look at him in bewilderment.

"How many?" I practically shout at him.

"Five." He says calmly.

"Finally Newt, it took forever. I'll be able to help you walk again too! Maybe I can get Gally to make you a crutch of sorts!" I rush out in excitement.

"I'll be fine Tommy." He says seriously.

"Yeah." I tone it down to his level.

"I'm scared to go back out there. Now that people know I wanted to kill myself or something." He says nervously, an unusual tone for Newt.

"Or something." He scoffs.

"I think they'll understand. I certainly think some will be able to relate. I can only hope they don't baby you, or treat you like a sick dog." I say, disgusted.

"Oh they will."

"Oh poor Newt, used to be so strong. A great leader for all of us, now look at him. Let's all be extra nice to him okay?" He says, mocking the other Gladers.

"Oh I'm sorry Newt." I sigh.

"At least I have you Tommy." He whispers.

"My leaving you alone was the right choice, right?" I need to confirm with him.

"Very, I'm glad you made that choice too." He reveals.

I sigh in relief, knowing I did something right sounds glorious.