Double Down, Double Dare

*knock knock knock*

I pause my movie wondering who the hell could be bothering me on my day off, I huff and walk over to the door and take a peek through the peep hole. A fish eye lens look outside and I see my neighbor Sal standing outside with a little smile on his face. I quickly open the door to greet him.

"Well hey there neighbor, how's it hanging?" I say leaning against the door frame.

"Doing well! I actually came over to invite you over for guys night tonight." He has his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on his feet with eager anticipation.

"Doesn't inviting me, a girl, over for a guy's night seem a little controversial? I love the guys don't get me wrong, but I feel like i'm breaking an unspoken code here." I raise an eyebrow.

"You're one of the guys basically, i'm sure the others would agree too and wouldn't mind." As I look a little closer, his fidgets were persistent and his mannerisms told a different story. His fingers kept fidgeting and tapping against his thigh, his foot wouldn't stop rocking and shaking, and I can just sense an energy of mischief.

"Salvatore Vulcano, I have been your neighbor and friend for how long? You think I don't know when something is going on? What's really behind this." He purses his lips together and averts his eyes. Guilty as charged and I knew it. He looks like a kid that got caught lying to their mom about brushing their teeth. 

"Okay I need a wing man." He confesses.

"This is gonna be a conversation I need to sit down for, come inside." I say walking back into the house, making my way to the couch with Sal behind me closing the door and following close behind. We both sit down on the couch and he continues tapping his fingers against his thigh. "So, wing man? Isn't that what the other clowns are for?" I say as I cross my arms across my chest.

"I can't trust them to handle this. So I just simply never told them about me liking Q. Joe would make it into a huge joke and i'll want to leave the face of the Earth and live on Saturn by the end of the first hour. Murr is just not meant to be a wing man in any way shape or form." I rub the bridge of my nose between my thumb and forefinger as I process all that i'm being told.

I'm not annoyed at Sal, not in the slightest, just annoyed that some of those goofballs can't keep it together to help a friend and his struggling love life. Seems i'm the only sensible and empathetic one in this group. It's not surprising though that he can't get them to actually help, especially after witnessing some of the torture they put each other through first hand. You tell them one thing about you and it becomes an endless cycle of torture, you have to pick and choose carefully what secrets you reveal because they can very quickly be used against you.

"Okay, i'll help you out you sap. No strings attached to this, I promise." Sal's face lights up brighter than the sun and he squeezes me into a tight hug that feels like it's gonna suffocate me. Talk about enthusiastic.

"Thank you!" He exclaims out. I feel like i'm back in high school helping one of my girls out with boy troubles. Didn't think i'd be doing it again years later but it's kind of refreshing in a way to see someone, especially Sal, so excited and giddy over someone they've fallen for. "Okay I need to go and clean my house up for tonight, fun starts at 6! Thank you again see you later!" He quickly gets up from the couch and starts letting himself out. He closes the door and I just sigh and chuckle to myself as I sink into my couch to mentally charge up my social battery.

Despite being his neighbor, I had never felt closer to someone in my life. Our relationship had grown so much to the point where Sal felt like the brother I never had and i'm sure he feels like i'm another sister. We both always go to each other for guidance and advice on things our friends wouldn't understand and also because were a knock away from each other. I tell him practically everything. He helped me through my last nasty break up so much that I almost thought he was gonna hunt down and kill the guy!