7

"And I know what you're thinking," Jace says as he steps away, "'how can he be friends with me?' I'll tell you how. You see, Evelynn, you're not like any other girl. You're unique. I say you're very strong. Even if you do have scars. They're only proof you're a fighter, and will continue to fight. I am very glad I came when I did. You can't leave, Eve. Not just yet."

I wipe a tear that is forming at the corner of my eye.

"Jace, I..I just really wish you would've let me bleed out, let me die. I'm not meant to be here. It's obvious."

"Eve, you are meant to be here. I don't know who told you you're not, but you are. You're an incredible person. I know we just met, but that doesn't matter. Put everything aside, you're fantastic. You need to hear it more, and you need to believe it."

My response is a slight smile. "Do you know my parents whereabouts?" I ask, changing the subject.

"No. I don't. I can find out, though." Jace walks to the door.

"No! Please!" I call out. "I don't want them to know."

Jace closes the door, then walks to my bedside.

"Oh, okay. But, why? Didn't they already know?"

I shake my head. "It-it's complicated. You wouldn't understand."

I push a piece of my hair behind my ear, bowing my head down.

"No, but I'm willing to listen." Jace looks at me with pleading eyes. I know he means it. I know he's a good person. I'm just not ready to tell anyone, yet.

"Jace," I sigh, "I promise. I'll eventually tell you. Right now, I can't. Especially since we barely know each other."

Jace grins. "I can change that." He scribbles something on a small piece of paper, then hands it to me. "I don't know if I gave you my number before, but, just in case, call me whenever. I'll be your friend."

"Thanks," I smile, accepting the paper. "Don't you have to be home? It's almost dinner time."

"Well, yeah, but a friend is more important than dinner." Jace reclines back on a hospital chair beside my bedside.

I smile at his presence.

"Thank you, Jace." I slip the paper into my robe pocket, careful not to pull out any cords.

Suddenly, there's a knock on my door. My bones tighten, my heart skips.

"Evelynn, it's your nurse, Camille."

I sigh with relief. "You may come in," I reply.

Camille opens the door, greeting both Jace and I with a smile.

"Hello. I'm just here to check on your cords and everything." She scribbles a few words on her clipboard. "You know, if it weren't for your friend over there, you'd be in a Morgue waiting to be buried." Camille smiles and exits the room.

"See, you're a hero, Jace." I say while smiling

"But you're a survivor."

Jace smiles at me, then lies beside me.

"We're friends, Eve. Nothing can change that."

The only friendship I will ever have.