14

*2 months later*

After two months, I finally return to school, regretfully. I honestly hate this place more than the hospital. I'd rather spend the day in the hospital.

"Eve! You're back!" Jaslyn says as she hugs me. "I've missed you!"

"Yeah," I say. "I'm sure you did."

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asks, hand on hip. She's gotten smaller since I last seen her.

"Nothing. Just that if you really missed me, you would have visited me in the hospital, and at home, like Jace did." I shut my locker and sling my bag over my shoulder.

"Evelynn, not everyone can be like Jace. Okay, I'm sorry my mother wouldn't let me visit you every day. I'm sorry I had soccer practice. I'm sorry I wasn't there." Jaslyn rolls her eyes as we walk down the hall.

"It's not that. I was just really hoping my best friend would come visit me. Even if it was one day and a few hours."

Jaslyn apologizes and stares straight ahead. "How are you doing?"

"Better, I suppose. I still have thoughts and temptations, but they're not as strong. I'm happier. Thanks for asking. How are you?" I ask as I glance at Jaslyn

"I'm okay. Stressed out, and guilty. But okay." Jas smiles back at me. "I really am sorry I didn't visit. I just didn't want to bother you, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to see me sweaty after practice." Jaslyn and I both laugh.

"It's okay. I'm sorry for being stubborn about it." I apologize as I take my seat in biology class. Jaslyn and I both sit in the back, side by side.

"No, it's okay. I understand. If it were me and you didn't come, I'd be highly pissed, too. I totally understand." Jaslyn says with a laugh.

Suddenly the bell rings and everyone rushes to their seats.

There's a new kid sitting in front of Jaslyn and I.

"That's Nathan. He's from Nevada." Jas informs me.

"How old is he?"

"16, I think. He hasn't really spoken to anyone but the guys." Jaslyn shrugs and takes out her work.

"Evelynn, welcome back," the teacher says with a smile. "I assume you have your work completed?"

"Yes, actually, I do." I dig through my bag for my folder I have all my work in. "Here you go," I say as I stand to give it to her.

"Thank you," she smiles and places it in the grading rack.

I walk back to my seat with my head up. Before my indecent, I would always walk with my head down and fast because I was afraid of being judged. As of now, I think I'm better.

"Whoa, you actually walked with your head up." Jaslyn says as I take my seat.

"I know right? I'm...changed..I think I'm slowly recovering."

"I like this Evelynn. But I also liked the old Evelynn." Jas gives me a small hug.

"Thank you," I say hugging her back.

*
After three classes, it is officially time for lunch.

I meet Jace and Jaslyn my the pop machines in front of the cafeteria.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. I was turning my assignments in." I sling my bag over my shoulders, along with my hair.

"It's fine," Jace says as he takes hold of my hand.

"Yeah, it's fine." Jaslyn repeats as we get in line. "Ew. We're having lasagna again today."

"I'll pass," I say. I step to the side and walk through the line with Jace and Jaslyn.

"Eve, you need to eat." They both say

"Oh, trust me," I unzip a part of my bag full of food, "I will."

They both laugh as they finish the line.

We take a seat at an empty table towards the back of the cafeteria.

"Is your mom back home," Jace asks as he takes a fork full of lasagna.

"Uhm, yeah. But there's officers there, too, until midnight." I say as I grab a small bag of chips from my backpack.

"You know you can stay with me, right? My mom is okay with it." Jaslyn suggests.

"Yeah, I was just about to ask you if I could tonight." I laugh, opening the chips.

"Of course. Let me tell my mom." Jaslyn retrieves her phone from her pocket and texts her mom. Within a minute, she gets a reply. "She's cool with it."

I smile and thank her.

"Now I don't have to worry." Jace says as he finishes his lunch. "I've got to use the restroom. I'll be back," he gives me a small kiss on the cheek before leaving the cafeteria

"You guys are so cute, if I must admit." Jaslyn says as she finishes, as well.

"Thanks," I smile.

"I'm jealous." Jaslyn laughs.

"Oh I'm sure you'll find someone. Like that Nathan kid in bio."

"Yeah, you're crazy. I'm not his type."

"I thought I wasn't Jace's, but look at us now." I smile.

"You're so cute." Jas says, once again.

"He makes me happy."

"That's all that matters."

Jaslyn's right. If I'm happy, that's all that really matters. Nothing can stop that. nothing.

_________
Hello! So, I've decided to enter this story, and others, into the #Wattys2015 and I would really like if you guys could vote on them. It'd mean a lot. Also, Sparkle213 has entered some of hers, too. Please vote and read them, as well! Thank you so much❤️❤️