8

Jace

I just don't get it. How could someone so beautiful as Evelynn be so broken, and insecure? To the world, she's happy and confident. But to herself...shes a wreck. To me, she's the most amazing, beautiful person I have ever met.

"Eve?" I ask, turning to her bed. She slightly looks at me, then back at her thighs. "Why do you do this to yourself? When did it start?" I want to know answers. Maybe if I did deeper into her past, I'll get more information as to why shes harming herself.

Eve pulls the hospital bed blanket up to her thighs. "I...I absolutely hate myself. I can't stand myself. Somedays, I'm fine with myself. Others, like today, I'm ready to die. I don't know why. My mom was never depressed, nor my dad. Just..me. The people at school make me really mad and uncomfortable and want to strangle myself. I look at all the other girls, and see how flawless they are. Perfect skin, perfect body, friends. They have friends. Something I've not. Yeah, the girls at school claim to be my friends, but I guarantee if they hear about this, they'll spread it faster than wildfire. Everyone at school wants to be my friend, and it's too much. I put on a show," Evelynn wipes her eyes with a tissues she had just previously pulled from the tissue box, "and I can't play the specific role anymore. I was supposed to end it today. Forever. Gone. Out of history. Tonight was the night the show ended."

I hand her another tissue, then start softly talking. "Eve, you're so much more than that. You don't have to pretend. You need to accept yourself and all the gorgeous flaws you have. Stop comparing yourself with others. I think you're prettier than them. And, trust me, I've seen a lot of girls. Slept with them, too. But you're the prettiest I've came in contact with. I don't want you to give up. I know you're strong enough to win. If not for you, then for me. Don't let me down, Eve. Don't let me go."

Eve keeps her stare locked on the boring television channel before turning to me. "I won't." She reached for my hand, grabbing it, and squeezing it. "Please, don't ever leave me."

"I won't," I repeat. "I won't."