Chapter 24

"Ok, Mama, how can we help?" I asked as we walked through the sliding back door.

"Please make the scalloped potatoes, yours are always better than mine." Mama said as she chopped vegetables for the salad.

I raised my brow at her, "Any chance you are just afraid of the mandoline slicer?"

"I cut myself every single time!" Mama said.

"I think that's just part of the experience." Lacy said with a shrug. "If there isn't blood in the potatoes, are they really as good?" She said grabbing three wine glasses and filling each.

I placed a large pot on the stove and started to slice the potatoes.

"So, Mama, what do you think of the boys?" Lacy asked. I bit my lip as I stayed overly focused on not cutting my finger.

"Aiden seems super sweet hon. What does he do for a living?" Mom asked her.

"Well, he co-owns the bar with James, and he flips houses in his free time. He actually does an amazing job." Lacy said.

"That's nice. Are things getting serious between you two?" she asked.

Lacy looked to me as I chewed on my lip and studied the recipe on the counter that I wasn't following.

"I like him a lot. I guess we'll just see where it goes." she said with a shrug. I knew she was intentionally not giving her details, and not telling her that they were living together. Mama still doesn't know that James and I are not only living together, but have now bought a house together. "Charlotte, what can I do to help you?" she said walking up next to me.

"Umm.." I said, clearing my throat. "Can you get the cream, butter and parmesan cheese from the fridge please?" I said with a small smile.

As Lacy went to the fridge, she said to Mama, "The guys are taking us to a charity dinner next weekend. It's a formal event, and Charlotte is having her dress custom made."

"Well, that sounds like fun." Mama said as she continued on with her salad without even looking up.

I looked to Lacy and she shrugged and gave me a look saying, 'I don't know what to do'.

I cleared my throat, "I'm going to take the guys a drink." I walked over to the fridge and grabbed two beers for Dad and Aiden, then went to the bar and poured a glass of whiskey. I threw back the drink then re-filled the glass for James.

I stepped out back and walked over to the gazebo. The guys seemed to be having a better time than I was. They all seemed comfortable and even laughing from time to time. I handed them all their drinks, and wrapped an arm around James. He pulled me into a one armed hug while he held his glass of whiskey with his other hand.

"Are you ok, babe?" He asked quietly.

"Mmhmm." I said with a forced smile.

"Charlotte, let me know when you are ready for me to put the steaks on." Dad said as he prepped the grill.

"Of course." I said as I slid out of James' arm. "I need to get back inside. I left Lacy in charge of the potatoes." I joked.

James' eyes followed me all the way back inside.

"Sorry, Lacy, I'll take back over now." I said as I measured the ingredients into the pot.

"So, Charlotte, what are you thinking about for James' suit for next weekend?" Lacy asked. I knew she was trying to talk up James since my Mom was obviously avoiding talking about him.

"I'm not sure." I said just trying to avoid making problems.

"Oh, come on. I know you have a vision of it." Lacy said. I smiled thinking about it.