The Job

Disclaimer: I don't own Ninjago, just the story.

Cole and Kai had their job and were trying to complete it as quickly as possible. They were wearing plain black ninja gis because they didn't want to wear their regular ninja gis to do what they were doing. Plus, that would draw attention they didn't want.

"How much farther Cole?" Kai asked.

"Not much," Cole answered.

"We really have to kill this guy? Cole, we've never killed anyone!" Kai was nervous about the job they were given. He didn't really want to do this job.

"I know, but we don't really have a choice here." Cole sighed. He shared Kai sentiment in not wanting to do it. "We have to do it. For our friends, for Jay and Lloyd, for our wives, FOR OUR KIDS!!! I can't lose anyone because we refused to do what we were told." Tears formed in Cole's eyes, which never happens.

Kai noticed and pulled Cole in for a hug and rubbed comforting circles on his back. "It's ok," he said comfortingly. "I don't want to lose any of them either. It's just...if we do this, there's no going back. If we do this, it's permanent."

Cole calmed down and pulled away. "I know." Cole paused. "He's...a bad guy...killing him would mean one last bad guy wondering the streets." Cole was trying to tell himself things to justify what they were doing.

"That seems...logical." Kai was just going along with what Cole said.

They continued on in silence. Neither wanted to talk about what could possibly happen and what it could mean for them. They kept telling themselves that what they were doing was for the people that they care about to try and calm their nerves. It wasn't working. They kept thinking about how they are about to cross a line that they will never be able to come back from. Sensei Wu taught them not to kill, but here they were, about to kill someone.

They reached their location and looked through the windows to see what the situation was. They saw a room, but didn't see anyone in it. "It looks empty," Cole said. "Follow my lead."

Kai nodded and started following Cole.

They walked into the room and looked around. They couldn't see anyone, but still had a bad feeling about it. They continued walking and it felt spooky for both of them how nobody was there.

All of a sudden, they heard evil laughter. "Well, well, well...what do we have here?" a voice said. Cole and Kai turned around. "Looks like Ninjago's most dangerous crime boss has finally sent people to try to kill me." The man showed himself and stared at the two. "You really think you can complete this task." Other men surrounded Cole and Kai. "You're dreaming."

"Looks like this isn't going to be as easy as we thought," Kai said.

"Let's just take care of these guys and do what we came here to do," Cole said.

Cole took out his sythe and Kai took out his sword. They started fighting the guys off. They didn't use their elemental powers because they didn't want them to know that it was two of Ninjago's protectors taking them down.

They were winning and knocking guys down left and right. Suddenly, a guy snuck behind Cole and hit him hard in the back.

"COLE!!!" Kai screamed and ran to Cole's side to help him up. "Are you ok?"

"I think so," Cole responded. He looked up and noticed they were cornered. "This isn't good."

"I think we need to use our powers."

"You're right."

Cole and Kai attempted to use their powers, but nothing happened.

"You are two fools, aren't you," the man they were sent to kill said. "I knew that two elemental masters would be sent to kill me, so I surrounded this place with vengestone. For you, that means no rocks and no fire."

"You knew who we were this whole time?!" Cole exclaimed shocked.

"Yes, I did." He paused. "It looks like Ninjago will have two less elemental masters." He raised up a sword and was about to use it on Cole and Kai when a shuriken was thrown, knocking it out of the man's hands.

"I don't think so," Cole and Kai looked up to see Zane.

"ZANE!!!" they exclaimed in unison, relieved to see their friend.

PIXAL came in with her Samurai X mech and scared the goons that worked for the man.

"Get back here, you cowards!" the man yelled. He then turned back to Cole and Kai and then looked at Zane and PIXAL. He grabbed a sword he found on the ground. "Don't come any closer or I'll kill them." He gestured the sword towards Cole and Kai.

"Not so fast!" Skylor shouted as she and Seliel grabbed the man from behind.

"Don't hurt them!" Seliel shouted.

The Master of Amber and the Phantom Ninja took the guy down and then went over to their husbands.

"Are you guys ok?" Skylor asked.

"Yeah," Kai answered. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We got suspicious with the way you two were acting and followed you around. We had to convince Nya to stay back to make sure that Jay and Lloyd didn't try to come."

Seliel crossed her arms and looked at Cole angrily. "Why do you keep lying to me?! I thought when we got married, we agreed no secrets! On top of that, you weren't thinking about the kids! You made deals with bad people, not even thinking of how that would affect me and the kids!" Seliel finished her angry rant with Cole.

"I'm sorry," Cole said. "We did it because we made a promise to Nya and Britney that we would find Jay and Lloyd."

"But what about everyone else in your life." A tear rolled down Seliel's cheek. "I understand your promise, but you could've included me. I want to be included in everything you do."

"I'm sorry. I should've told you the truth. I thought by not telling you, I was protecting you. Can you please forgive me?"

"As long as you promise no more secrets."

"I promise." Cole and Seliel hugged.

Skylor looked angrily at Kai. "You're not off the hook either."

"I'm sorry," Kai said. "I was kind of following Cole's lead."

"That...I believe." Kai and Skylor hugged.

After, Kai looked over to Cole. "We still have to complete the job," Kai said.

"No you don't," Zane said as he walked over.

"What do you mean?" Cole asked.

"We've been following you."

"And we called the police and had them arrest the person that gave you this job," PIXAL said.

"SERIOUSLY!!!" they said in unison.

"You really think we would let you guys cross that line?" Seliel asked. "He will be locked up for a long time."

"I love you," Cole said.

"I know."

"The police are also on their way here to arrest these guys," PIXAL said.

"Thank you guys," Kai said.

"We are a team and we help each other out no matter what," Zane said.

"What do you say we all go home for the night?" Skylor said. "Considering that we left the others in charge of all of our kids."

They all laughed as they headed back to the monastery with no more secrets.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed!