Episode 3: Holly, Jolly

I wake up to my mother calling Will's name from inside his room. I leave my room just as Jonathan leaves his. He looks at me and I shrug before we walk into Will's room to find Mom sitting on his bed with all of the lamps in the house around her.

"It's me. Just talk to me. Talk to me." She mutters to herself.

"Mom?" I call causing her to whip her head around to her two children standing in the doorway to her missing child's room with questioning faces.

"Oh, guys, come here. Come here." She gestures us forward and we walk to her.

"W-what is this?" Jonathan asks, gesturing to the lamps.

We sit on either side of her as she takes our hands. "What's going on?" I ask as I sit.

"It's Will. It's Will, he's... he's trying to talk to me." Mom whispers shakily.

"He's trying to talk to you?" Jonathan asks for clarification.

"Yes, through- through the lights." She whispers.

"Mom-" Jonathan tries to stop her from this crazy talk only to get cut off.

"I-I know. I know. Just- Just watch." She says. "Will, your brother and sister are here. Can you show him what you showed me, baby?" Suddenly one of the lamps flicker and Mom gasps. "Did you see that?"

"It's the electricity, Mom. I-It's acting up. It's the same thing that fried the phone." Jonathan stammers as I watch the lamp a little more closely.

"No! It is not the electricity, Jonathan. Something is going on here! Yesterday, the wall-"

"What? What about the wall!?"

"I don't know. I don't know."

Mom, first the lights, then the wall!?"

"I-I just know that Will is here." Mom says as I put my head in my hands.

"No, Mom." Jonathan's voice wavers.

"M-maybe if I get more lamps-" She says as she and Jonathan stand.

"No, Mom. You don't need more lamps. You need to stop this, okay? He is just lost. People are looking for him, and they are going to find him." Jonathan says as he grabs her face and I bury mine deeper into my hands.

"Okay." She whispers in defeat. "Okay, I'm sorry. I'm sorry."

"Can you do me a favor, Mom? Can you just try and get some sleep? Can you do that for me?" Jonathan asks.

Mom sniffles and nods her head. "Yeah. I promise. I will. I just need to sit here for a minute."

"Alright, I'll go make breakfast." Jonathan says as he rubs his mother's back comfortingly and Mom nods with a smile and a sniffle.

Jonathan gets up and I follow only he goes to the kitchen and I go back to my room. Once the door is closed and locked, I can't control my emotions anymore. I break down into quiet hysterical sobbing as I curl up on my bed and bury my face into my pillow to muffle any sounds.

Jonathan knocks on my door, telling me that breakfast is ready a little while later. I come out of my room and eat before we go to school for the day.

I couldn't focus on my studies because of what happened this morning. By the time lunch came around, I was back at the bulletin boards putting posters back up from where some were ripped off or covered. People really don't seem to care about what happens to Will and that infuriates me.

Eventually, the day ended and Jonathan and I were on our way back to his car when we were stopped by Steve and his gang who were sitting on Jonathan's car, seemingly waiting for us.