Episode 6: The Monster

"Nancy!" Jonathan calls in panic as we continue searching for Nancy in the dark woods.

"Nancy! Where are you?!" I call out to her as well, hiding my fear for Jonathan's sake.

We continue calling for her until we hear her voice echo faintly through the trees. "I'm right here!"

"Nancy! We're here!" I call out as Jonathan continues to call her name. "We're right here!"

"Nancy! Just follow my voice!" Jonathan shouts to her. "Follow my voice, Nancy, We're right here!"

Suddenly we hear her yelp in fear and we chase her voice as we continue to shout her name. We follow her voice to a nearby tree with a gooey hole in it. The bark closes slowly around the edges as Jonathan drops his bag and gets closer to it.

"Nancy. Nancy! Follow my voice." He calls into the hole, thinking she's in there. I keep lookout around us just in case.

Suddenly someone's hand shoots out from the hole, causing Jonathan to jump back and into my legs.

"Help!" We hear Nancy's voice clear'er now. This must be her!

Jonathan shoots forward and grabs her hand and pulls her out with struggle. She lands on top of him as he sits up and hugs her close as she cries in relief and fear. "I got you. I got you." Jonathan soothes.

I watch with relief until I shift my gaze to the hole in the tree that fully closes up as if nothing was there in the first place.

...

We go back to Nancy's house and it's nearing midnight. Jonathan and Nancy go upstairs as I pass out on their couch in the living room.

I wake up with a start, escaping my nightmare that my mind imagined.

"Oh!" Karen Wheeler, Nancy's mother, jumps back a bit from her spot beside the couch.

"S-sorry. Bad dream." I mutter tiredly.

"It's okay." She smiles. "Did Nancy have a sleepover without me knowing?" She asks with a quirked brow.

I glance at the stairs before looking back at Mrs. Wheeler with an innocent smile. "Ah, yeah, um, we were hanging out yesterday and it got late so she let me stay here for the night. Sorry if I'm intruding."

"No, no. It's alright. You aren't intruding at all! I'm gonna go wake Nancy." She says with a smile before leaving.

I wait for her to round the corner and go upstairs before dashing out the door. I find Jonathan and Nancy climbing down from her bedroom window. I chuckle as I watch them climb down. They jog to me and we start walking to our house to pick up the car. Nancy and Jonathan explain to me that they think the thing is drawn to blood so we decide to try and lure it somewhere and kill it.

We get in the car and drive to a store that sells hunting supplies and the such. We pick out a bunch of items ranging from bear traps to sledge hammers. We put all of our stuff on the counter to be rung up.

"And I'll have four boxes of the .38s." Jonathan says, needing more ammo for the pistol we stole from Lonnie.

The man grabs the boxes of ammo and sets them on the counter before looking at us strangely. What you kids doin' with all this?" He asks, causing us to look at each other before looking back at the man.

"Monster hunting." I answer seriously and the man only nods before scoffing and ringing us up.

We take our stuff and walk back to the car. "'Monster hunting'?" Jonathan asks me with a smile and I smile back.