A Ray of Hope

(Over the next couple of days Lex was arrested, Clark made sure he couldn't find some underhanded way to escape, ensuring he would remain behind bars for a long, long time)

(Clark looked out at the stars one night from outside his house, he was still working on fixing up the barn but it was coming along nicely)

(Lois walked up and joined him)

Lois: "Are you okay?"

Clark: "My mom is going to take dad's senate seat."

Lois: "Yeah I heard."

Clark: "I'm glad she found something to help her move forward."

Lois: "Are you implying..that you haven't found something of your own?"

(Clark turned to face her)

Clark: "I don't need to find something new..because she's been by my side all this time."

Lois: "Clark I.."

Clark: "You stopped me from becoming a monster. If you weren't there..I don't want to think about what I would have done."

Lois: "I can't imagine how hard that must have been. To be so brutally betrayed like that. I understand why you wanted to punish him."

Clark: "But I can't allow myself to go that far. With my powers..I would be unstoppable."

Lois: "Unless there's someone by your side. Someone to keep you grounded. To help make sure that you stay true to yourself and who loves you completely."

Clark: "Lois.."

Lois: "I think it's my turn to ask you something. I know the timing may totally suck..but I figured you could use something else to think about."

(She got down on one knee)

Clark: "Lois..what are you..?"

Lois: "When we met we couldn't stand each other..but after getting to know you..I realized that the truth was I couldn't stand to be away from you. You make me a better person. I wouldn't be anything if not for you. You're everything I ever wanted yet everything I never knew I needed. Clark Kent.."

(She took his hand)

Lois: "..will you marry me?"

(Clark thought over everything he'd been through the past few years..all the struggles, the triumphs...the losses...and he saw that through it all..getting to know Lois Lane..made all of it worth it, she was worth all the pain he'd had to suffer through, she could take away far more of his pain than Kryptonite could ever give him..and that thought made her question very easy to answer...)

Clark: "Yes Lois. I'll marry you."