Chapter Five

"Adam," his name left my lips on a breath. He didn't move and the crowd cheered as Cole made the catch and scored the touchdown. I squeezed past me urgently as I raced down the aisle, taking them steps by two. For the first time I regretted that Aubrey and I quit cheering for the school two years ago so we could devote our time and effort into our elite competition team because if I were down there I would've been closer to Adam and wouldn't be elbowing through the ignorantly cheering crowd. Yeah, great, we scored a touchdown, but Adam still hasn't moved. When I reached field level the coach and athletic trainer had noticed Adam and were running out to his side. The defensive player who tackled him was standing a few feet away looking upset and freaked out.

I unlatched the gate and hurried out onto the field. I pulled out my cell phone when I heard the coach call out for someone to get his parents. I hurried over and kept my eyes on Adam's peaceful face, "They're in Pheonix. I have their number." I said.

The coach looked up at me and nodded. I watched as the paramedics hurried over with their bags and a stretcher. I bit my lip in worry and was aware of how eerily quiet the stadium now was, all eyes glued to Adam. Both football teams stood wuiet as they watched, our players showing personal struggle as they watched their friend laying still on the field.

Adam will be alright. Adam will be okay. I knew he would be.

My heart thudded in my chest, stumbling over a beat when Adam groaned and his eyes tightened before opening a little, only for him to clench them back shut with a grunt of pain.

"Adam," I sighed his name with relief.

"Posie?"

Why my nickname? I groaned internally and if it weren't for the severity of the circumstances I would've blushed. "Yeah, I'm here."

Despite the situation, the coach's eyes flicked to me with amusement before he gave Adam's hand a squeeze while the paramedics started to question him. I stayed beside him while the paramedics rolled him onto the stretcher.

"Coach," Adam said, "Put Ethan in."

"Adam," the coach began, but Adam cut him off.

"Don't stop the game."

The coach sighed but nodded, giving Adam's hand an affectionate squeeze. "Will do, son. Feel better." The old man wasn't the type to do emotions or touching words, but I could tell he really cared about his players.

"Are you family?" One of the paramedics asked.

I blinked and shook my head, "No--his family is out of town."

"I want her to come." Adam said, sounding like he was hurting and weak.

The paramedics just nodded.

"Rylie!" I heard my name being called and turned to see it was Lauren running towards me. "Are you going with him?"

I nodded.

"I'll drive your car to the hospital for you and Danny can drive me back, okay?" She said and I nearly sagged with relief.

"Thank you so much, Lauren!" I wasn't thinking of anything but Adam and staying with him, but luckily Lauren was. I didn't know how long we'd be at the hospital, but as long as Adam was okay I didn't care.

I handed her my keys. "Just leave the keys in the front left wheel well and I'll get them. Thank you." I said and she ran back off when a quick wave.

Once Adam was loaded into the ambulance I got in and we drove off to the hospital. Well, this wasn't how I imagined today going. What if I hadn't come to the game?