Chapter One: Maybe This Time

Y/N's POV

Fliss parks the car by the docks, where the Duke of Milan is ready and waiting.

But before she gets out, Fliss looks over at me with a sigh. "Are you ready to meet our clients in person?"

I nod. "Yes. I mean, they can't be as bad as some of the other clients we've had in the past. Besides, when I talked to one of them over the phone, I mean, they all sounded nice."

Fliss shudders, likely remembering a few... select bad clients we've had in the past. "You're probably right. Even if they are bad, they're paying really well for this trip and we really need the money. So, yeah, just..."

"Five star service?"

Fliss nods, smiling. "Exactly."

I return Fliss's smile, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. "Don't worry. We're going to get the money. I'm not letting you lose the Duke."

Fliss looks like she's tearing up, but she looks away before I can really tell. "Thank you," Fliss tells me, still refusing to look at me.

I sigh softly, looking down at the ground before suggesting, "We should get going."

Fliss nods, getting out of her Jeep.

Once I get out of the car, Fliss locks it, walking with me up to the boat.

In the distance, I hear, "So where's the old crust bucket skipper, anyhow?"

Fliss and I are almost to the boat, but the one woman and three guys haven't noticed us yet.

One of the men replies, "Actually, we're not just waiting for her. The captain has a business partner. She's actually the one I talked to."

The man in the khaki shorts and the floral button-up shirt sighs exasperatedly, taking a swig of his beer before replying, "Alright, alright. So where's the crust bucket skipper and her washed up assistant?"

Fliss and I share a look, Fliss rolling her eyes.

I let out a little laugh before deciding to ignore the guy's comment.

Fliss and I get into the boat, the group finally noticing us. The guy with dark blond hair and the khaki shorts looks surprised when he sees me.

"I'd invite you to make yourselves at home, but, uh... " Fliss lets it sit a while before continuing, "So is everybody on board and ready to go?" Fliss asks, walking to the wheel with me close behind.

I can feel Mr. Khaki Shorts's presence behind me.

I turn around slightly just in time to see him check me out, saying, "Uhh, if you're selling, I'm buying."

Fliss scoffs next to me, preparing to get going and speed ahead.

I hold on, knowing that there is soon to be a sudden jolt of speed.

However, this client does not know that, and so goes falling to the floor once Fliss starts up the Duke and gets it moving.

I can't help but laugh at the fallen young man before covering my mouth in embarrassment, not wanting to be too rude.

But the man doesn't seem to care. He just gets up, takes another drink of his beer, and says, "Woah. Guess I really fell for you." He winks.

I start laughing again, unable to contain it. Through the tears that have formed due to my laughing so hard, I see the man stick his free hand out with a smile.

"Conrad," he says simply.

I manage to calm myself down, taking his hand and shaking it firmly with mine. "Y/N."